Chapter 7: SOS

—-

If you need a friend

Don't look to a stranger

You know in the end

I'll always be there

And when you're in doubt

And when you're in danger

Take a look all around

And I'll be there

When In Rome, The Promise

                                   —-

Chapter 7: SOS

Near the end of August, a stifling heat wave fell over the island. It was so unbearably hot that Horace only had a skeleton crew working, and only in the buildings that had air conditioning, like the cafeteria, infirmary, or the security office. Though the weather had been seasonably warm all month long, the sudden, unexpected increase in temperature was making everyone unhappy as they clustered together inside like hermits; the compound looked like a ghost town.

After three days of scorching heat, Miles called it quits. Enough was enough. "I can't with this goddamn heat!" he exclaimed, and groaned at the effort of picking himself up off the couch. He'd been lying underneath the ceiling fan praying for death for over an hour. The AC was puttering, as if it too were desperately trying to rest. If he had to sit around like this much longer, he was certain the only thing left behind would be a Miles-shaped puddle on the couch he'd just vacated.

A few seconds later, he popped his head into the bathroom where Jin was taking a cold shower. "Hurry up! We're leaving!" he called out, and slammed the door behind him. He was in and out so fast Jin didn't even have time to process what Miles had said and respond. He scrunched up his face in confusion, but did as he was told and shut off the shower. He'd finished washing a while ago, anyway.

Next, Miles found James lying in his hammock with a bucket of water next to him. He kept dunking a washcloth in the water and squeezing its contents over his bare torso. The little rivulets barely stood a chance before they evaporated and James had to squeeze even more onto his body. "Get up, Jim. We're leaving!" Miles barked, smirking to himself when James startled.

"Where we goin', Genghis?" James called back, struggling to sit up, but Miles was already walking away.

"The beach!" Miles called out, not even bothering to look over his shoulder. He stalked over to Juliet's house, finding that he was soaked with sweat before he even arrived. He pounded three times on the door before unceremoniously letting himself inside. She was leaning into her refrigerator wearing a tank top and shorts. She didn't even bother moving as Miles approached her, though she certainly looked bashful at how he'd caught her.

"What are you doing here?" she asked mildly, standing straight.

"Get your stuff. We're going to the beach."

"Why the beach?" She closed the fridge and stepped around Miles to start heading towards her bedroom.

"Because. It won't be as hot there. Between the breeze and the water, we won't have to sit here and suffer anymore. It's too fucking hot for this."