Chapter 8

"Greg...?"

The name fell effortlessly out of my lips, but it still stung to say his name.

I looked ahead of me, in the lair, at the metal cage where the true USA president was been kept.

Imprisoned.

Hidden from the world.

He opened his eyes wearily, rubbing them with his chaffed fists, as he looked forward in the dark... towards me.

"You..." He hissed, he declared with such vehemence it felt like I was talking to a completely different man than the one I had kidnapped.

"Ah, so you remember me?" I said calmly, almost jokingly but he just glared right into my eyes, "Not in a humourous mood, I see?"

"What do you want from me?" The former president asked, begged "What?"

"What?" I repeated back to him and took a nervous toddle forward. I was only a few feet from him now, and I could see he had grown a bit of a beard, and his hair was a mess of thick brown waves.

I swallowed. I didn't know how to say this.

"It's to do with..."

He waited, his eyes slitting as he glared at me with no unending rage.

"Russia,"

"Russia?" He repeated back this time and I timidly nodded my head.

"Yes... see, I kinda made a bluff that I was going to start a nuclear war with them-" Greg's eyes widened as I said this, "And they kinda took it as a threat... and..."

"And?" He asked. He peeped.

"Well... I've got a button now that I need to press."

"...what?!" He gasped and I gave a nervous smile, rolling my shoulders in the slightest of shrugs.

"Yep... so tomorrow... I'm gonna do it."

"You're not!" The president peeped back and I gave a nervous awkward laugh.

"Kinda have to..."

"LET ME OUT!" Greg suddenly screamed at me, grabbing the heavy metal bars and rattling them furiously.

"So... I guess I came here to tell someone who would support me... be a listening ear." His eyes widened at what was coming out of my mouth. Pure insanity, "Maybe... a friend?"

"NEVER!" Greg Heffery roared and suddenly pathetic tears balled in his eyes, slipping down his cheeks in hopeless terror.

"But I have to."

"WHY, YOU MONSTER?!"

Monster...

What Bob's words were a few weeks ago when I was still campaigning as president.

You can be a villain without being a monster...

I was frozen in thought as these words went through my head.

I gulped.

Was I truly becoming this... a beast? A-a... MONSTER?

I slowly closed my eyes, the lateness of the night finally getting to me and making me sleepy.

I silently leant against the wall, yawning and closed my eyes to rest them for a moment.

When I opened them again... it was dawn.

I suddenly shot up instantly in a standing position, swinging my sight from left to right quickly in case I had missed something.

But no... there he was. Greg Heffery still watching me, with near exhaustion in himself making it hard for him to keep open his eyes.