Chapter 10

So school. That was still a thing.

Walking back down those halls to my classroom, you'd think that I'd feel like some sort of failure. First of all, because I had literally been the president of the united states, but now, now I was back in sixth grade at my old school.

And you know what? I didn't feel like a failure. Not one bit.

Because I had accomplished something not one of my peers had ever done. That is, the almost total annihilation of the whole world. And I wasn't humble about this fact at all, no. I was beyond proud of myself.

"So, Mr Gru," My teacher said to me in an almost condescending voice and I nodded to her, resting my feet on my desk in front of me and my chair, "Or should I say, EX-president of the United States."

"You can say whatever you want," I said with a smirk, not letting her foul mood and judgement get to me, "At least I have done more in my twelve years of life than you have done in your fifty."

The whole class oohed and hooted in laughter, rattling their desks and the teacher glared right at me, her eyebrows lowering in a crease from her brow.

"I'm only thirty-six."

"Oh, right," I chuckled darkly and rolled my eyes as I continued, "My bad."

She gave a huge hmph! Appearing to have an even deeper hatred for me now and I only smirked again, resting my feet still on the desk.

And that's how it went for most of the class. My peers seemed to have a silent admiration for me, which became a loud outspoken one at lunchtime.

I know this because the minute I stepped out to the yard at recess, dozens of my classmates started to surround me, with questions upon questions about how I did it all.

"I'm just that good," I said with my unspecified European accent, "I'm just incredible like that."

"More like despicable."

Me and many of my other peers turned our heads to the side when a high girl's voice spoke these words.

"And who," I began to say, looking over at her and realizing it was one of the pretty girls from my classroom, "Are you to say that?"

"Because it's true." She spat out, seeming to have a heavy judgement that had very little basis, "I heard on the news that you had planned to destroy us all."

"Ooh!" The other kids cooed and I stood up straighter, but still walked right up over to her with my slight hunch.

"Yes... I was going to... but y'know why I didn't?"

"Because you gained a conscience?" She asked back bitterly, "Because you wanted to be a hero for a change?"

"No, not exactly that," I replied and smirked to myself, closing my eyes as the images of the people I loved were in my mind's inner eye.

And the thing was, these weren't people in the traditional sense of the word.

They were yellow, and shaped like tic tacs.

They knew how to make me laugh and most importantly, make me feel loved.

They were my friends, they were my family.

"Because," I finally answered her, and straightened up like a strong eagle, "There are still so many little yellow men that love me for me... and I need not have to prove anything to anyone else."

"And your little men." She went on coldly, tilting her head the slightest as she stared right into my deep blue eyes, "Will they always be there for you? You monster."