Chapter 4: Wolf Among Sheep

During the day, I was Lydia Bordovin, a foreigner from another distant island across the world. I would work cleaning and moving things for people. Whether it be in stores or people's houses, I found work with my "surprising" amount of strength for a lady.

By night I was Diane once more. The devil that stalked dry deserts, ripping away at the winds, sparking flames from thin air, shaping the earth. I practiced balance, and control, using my powers for longer or more extreme levels. I learned much, developed some tricks, and grew stronger, and wiser day by day, inch by inch. I didn't have an opponent to test my skills against anything, but the motions, and the refinement each day was the goal.

The routine continued for months, working during the day, and training in the evening and night. No one was any the wiser. One evening I decided to fly to the island of the mages. I wondered how we fared without the constant threat of an attack. As I approached I shrunk my energy deep within me, concealing it. You would need to be very skilled or near me to feel my presence. I flew over the island. Most of the scattered villages had been broken down and gathered into a central city. Still of mainly stone and wood with lanterns lining the streets for light. They even had a small wall going along the outside of the houses, a wall that would surely grow in height and strength. They were doing well.

I returned to a very small and discreet home that I had to work to keep up. It gave me something during the day, which I didn't mind in the slightest. I had a somewhat normal life like how I kind of imagined. I wonder what my parents would think of it. Of me. My life as it is now. would they have supported me and my choices to this point? I couldn't dwell on what wasn't, I needed to mind what is, and what still is. I am a mage among normals. Any deviations would spell disaster. Above all they would wish me happiness, and above that they would want me to be safe.

I walked to work at a small "coffee shop" as the normals called it. I served them drinks and wiped down their tables when they were done. If there were kids with them I made it a job to make sure there wasn't "gum" under the table. Most times there wasn't. Other times I wasn't so lucky. I served one person their drink with a smile. When he looked up at me, his eyes went wide. It wasn't the first time, the female uniform and apron didn't leave much for the imagination. Especially around my hips. However he was staring into my eyes, and his face wasn't filled with admiration, more like realization. It made me tense. Did he recognize me? The only normals that ever saw my face were soldiers during their many invasions. Was he a soldier? My head spun through thoughts and possibilities quickly. He recovered himself and cleared his throat before drinking. I walked away from the table awkwardly.

If he knew who I was they'd bring soldiers and search this whole city for me. I could not stay here any longer. I needed to relocate. It was the only way to keep myself safe from their judgment. During my lunch, I left the shop and returned home. I grabbed the few belongings I had and flew far from the city. Would I need a new name as well? Should I even try to work or should I live off scraps? I managed that way for years. The less public the better perhaps. No, I told myself I'd live a life here. Even if that means I have to move every few months to not be tracked, that would be fine, I just needed to live.

I found a new city miles away. Smaller than the last. Within a month I found work at a flower shop. Caring for the vast array of plants, selling them to customers, and making sure they didn't overgrow in their pots. It was simple, calming, and the array of smells and beauty each day reminded me of home each time. It was perfect. I also found another discreet house that had been overlooked for years. Just meant when I wasn't at work during the day I had something to do.

One day when I was watering a line of roses, a man entered the store. He walked about the store, often stopping to sniff the plants and feel their smooth or rough petals between his fingers.