Chapter 21: Beginning of the End

When the sun rises, Zulu gathers the mages to the center of the city, far from the edges the normals could come from. His pupils stand as the last frail line of defense should all else fail. Lydia and Diane wait outside the church they gather in, awaiting Zulu to exit. Lydia avoids conversation and eye contact with the mask Diane hides behind.

When the mages have gathered and settled, Zulu finds the pair and nods. Diane takes a deep breath and raises both her hands. The earth around the city comes up in a dome-like shape, covering even the walls from the outside. Only a small hole near the top remains open until the three fly to the top of the dome and the hole closes.

The dome would stop anything from hitting the city directly. However, if the dome took damage, it would crack, and eventually crumble. It would be Zulu and Lydia's job to stop anything from striking the dome.

The three wait atop the dome, the wind a gentle breeze against their backs as they face the mainland. They can feel Maxus approaching, along with all the normals who lined the gap between the two lands. A flight of five jets shoots overhead and then circles back around to the rest of the normals.

"They send scouts. They wish to see our defenses." Zulu says as he eyes the planes.

"It should not be a concern, you two are already aware of how they plan to attack," Diane says. Lydia and Zulu exchange a glance.

"We should be able to handle the normals, there will be a lot of them, however." Lydia worries.

"If you don't think you can win you can always hide in the dome with the rest of the mages." Diane glares over her shoulder. Lydia shrinks into her own skin.

"She can handle it. Don't forget, she killed a Maxus clone, and saved you from Maxus during his last attack." Zulu barks, somewhat irritated.

"I have not forgotten." Diane looks back out towards the mainland. Knowing what Lydia knows now, she sees that memory in Diane's mind as a disgrace.

The three feel the normals beach at the edge of the island and mobilize. Maxus is the head of the normals, he leads them here from the front. There were hundreds of them, this likely was most if not all of the mainland's forces. Diane looks back at Lydia.

"Your turn." She says. As described by Zulu, they would have no options to move backward, only forward. Diane feels the water where their boats sit and raises the tides under them. The boats flip or are shredded from the rough waters and they sink to the bottom of the ocean surrounding the island. There are other ships, however, large ones, they circle the island.

"That will do for now, they can't return home now. They'll find their next home buried beneath the rocks of the island." Diane says and Lydia halts her efforts. The larger ships were a concern, however, if Diane said that would be fine for now, then she must not be worried about them. That or her ego wouldn't allow her to worry about normals floating around at sea.

As the normals approach, the large clouds of dust they kick up from their slow motion come into sight. Their forces span from one end of the island to the other, and far behind them. Hundreds might be an underestimate. There must be nearly a thousand of them if not more. Suddenly their slow push to the city halts, all except for one person.

Maxus comes closer, smiling up at the top of the dome. The three stare down at him, waiting for him to make a sudden move. Yet he continues to walk and smile. Lydia and Zulu can feel Diane's energy boil at his sight.

"We meet once again, Reaper," Maxus shouts up to the top of the dome as he comes to a halt.

"Yes, and for the last time as well," Diane shouts back.