Chapter 5: Birth Of The Reaper

"So I thought anyway." I noticed my voice was breaking now. I cleared my throat and stared at the interviewer.

"So what happened?" He asked genuinely curious.

"I went to his home the next morning. I waited for him to leave for whatever reason and I asked to go inside his home. He seemed hesitant at first, likely having his plans interrupted by my request. That or he was embarrassed to have a woman in his home. Regardless, he obliged me."

"So this is where you live?" I asked. I hadn't explored much of the place. I stopped in his living room on his couch, he had a large TV with a wall full of windows nearby. I looked down at the street below, we were apparently six floors up. The height didn't bother me, I could fly after all. I noticed his unease, and I invited him to sit next to me and talk to me. His bashful nature that I hadn't seen was charming, yet enticing in a way.

We sat for a few minutes, talking, and he began to calm down slowly. I found myself inching towards him, enjoying the privacy we had. Until now we'd always been out in the city. Now we were alone. It made my body warm at the thought. This would be my last time ever seeing him after today. I would make it worth it for both of us.

I leaned into him and kissed him, I felt him tense up, unsure. Yet when I pulled him towards me, his anxiety melted into something dangerous, something that made him lean over me. Something that made him hold me tight to him. Something that went straight from his body to mine, and made me hold him just as tight. It made me run my fingers along his back and through his rough morning hair. He pulled back a moment to breathe and stare into my eyes. I stared back, basking in the ocean that was his blue iris.

My hair stood on end, my powers felt something that I was too distracted to pick up myself. I sat up slowly, trying not to push him too aggressively from me. He stared at me confused and worried.

"Lydia? Are you alright?" He asked. I put a finger to my lips and looked out the window. Nothing was immediately in sight. My whole body was still aching and craving from our... moment together. I couldn't use my energy to guide my powers properly. I noticed something finally. Square in the middle of a rooftop. The reflection of glass. So precise and pointed. I recognized it almost instantly. My time on the front lines would never let me forget that sight. The reflection of the sun off the lens of a scope. I was still being watched. Which meant Jacob was in danger now. A red light flashed from behind Jacob's TV and a quick alarming beep went off. In two steps Jacob bound from the couch and grabbed me.

"Live on Diane." He said before he pushed us both out of the window into the air. Behind him, something exploded large and violent. The flames burst free from the apartment and shattered the rest of the glass outwards. His back took the brunt of the heat from the explosion and spiraling glass. One glass made its way toward me, however, and slashed out my right eye. Half my vision was gone, Jacob was limp and his ocean-colored eyes were fading in color. My eye was in pain, my heart throbbed. We were falling, all in a quick few seconds that I couldn't even process properly.

When it all did come together, however. It made me even more confused. He had called me by name. Diane. He knew who I was. Possibly from the very beginning. Not only did he know, but sacrificed himself knowing exactly what I was. I could feel the life in him leaving quickly. Around me, the spiraling and shattering glass reflected the world around it. It reflected us. Falling. Falling. Falling. My powers kicked in instinctively and I came to a halt before slamming into the ground. I reached out a hand and stopped Jacob from hitting the pavement violently. I rolled onto my knees and looked at him, he wasn't moving, nor was he breathing.

I examined his back, it was bright red, scabbed, and even burnt black in some places. Chunks of glass stuck out from his back, and other wounds were sliced clean open. I felt his face as I had mere moments ago. His body was cold, freezing. Lifeless. Jacob had died defending me knowing I wouldn't be able to. I stared at his body in disbelief. In the distance, I could hear sirens approaching. They were coming to confirm their kill or finish the job in this case. I didn't care, I pulled Jacob to me. Cradling his body in my arms. I could feel tears welling in my eye. The missing eye stung as tears and blood mixed. I could still remember the blush on his cheeks, the smiles he gave me, that kiss filled with so much emotion. I wanted to see it all again. Feel it all again.