1• Bonfire

(Entire story is in Millie's POV)

A few weeks later;
The whirl of waves in the distance blended with the flicker of fire on the sand. Drunken laughter echoed all around me, ripping through the night sky. I glanced up at the twinkling constellations, wishing I was anywhere but here. 

"Don't leave me alone with him, he's so weird." Tyler laughed like I had just told him a joke, then grabbed my hand to move me faster.

"He's not that bad Millie, he barely speaks." I took a rather large gulp from my cup, trying to psych myself up before I got forced into socialising with Tyler's new boyfriend and his friend.

I could see them up ahead, sitting on the beach not too far away from the bonfire.

Wyatt, the mischief maker of the group. A baby-faced blondie who forever wore a SnapBack.

River, the total opposite. A dark, introverted soul who guarded his smiles and hated all of human-kind.

"Hey!" Tyler yelled and waved, far too enthusiastically. He leaned down and greeted Wyatt with a small kiss. "So, you know my friend Millie, right?"

Awkwardly, I gave a small wave at Wyatt but refused to acknowledge River at all. 

"Millie, yes! Come sit, I have enough alcohol here to get you both drunk!" He patted his palm down on a blanket. Tyler took a seat next to him and immediately the pair cuddled up together.

I sat in the one remaining empty space, next to River who shuffled further away from me.

"What are your plans for Halloween?" Wyatt's eyes sparkled with excitement.

"Me and mil usually watch scary movies at hers, hand out candy to the neighbourhood kids so her mom doesn't open the door to them."

"Why what's wrong with your mom opening the door to them?"

I went quiet, did I really want to divulge my personal life to some of the cruelest boys at school?

"My mom drinks a lot, it wouldn't go down well." Subconsciously, I chipped away at my black nail polish, leaving it looking tatty.

"Oh, that sucks." Wyatt consolidated but quickly turned his attention to Tyler. "I was kinda hoping we could spend Halloween together." He looked towards River and I, "all of us I mean. Don't the jocks throw a huge party? Let's crash it. Teepee their house or something."

"Millie is friends with the jocks." Tyler pointed out awkwardly. I diverted my gaze, burying my nose inside my cup to smell the chemicals.

"Oh." Wyatt repeated. "That also sucks."

"They're alright when you get to know them." I decided to go for it, drink from the cup. Tyler sniggered because I knew he didn't agree.

The jocks were very 'typical masculine' and I hate that phrase but I feel like it gives the most accurate description of them. You know the type of guys, the ones that take steroids and chase pussy. The ones who dish out homophobic comments but are likely in the closet themselves.