19 • 50/50

"Riverrrrr" I yelled, my voice bouncing off dirty mirrors and startling the birds enough to make them flee from the roof

"Riverrrrr" I yelled, my voice bouncing off dirty mirrors and startling the birds enough to make them flee from the roof. I could hear him laughing, that asshole.

He forced me to follow him in here and then he ditched me so he could laugh at me freaking out from a distance.

Clowns are creepy, but 30 year old clowns with rotting faces and faded paintwork are the absolute devil and in this mirrored maze, they seemed to be everywhere. 

"It's not funny anymore River." He laughed more, it seemed to echo from every direction.

A rat scurried across the floor and I screamed absolute blue murder. River ran towards me, he appeared out of nowhere completely alarmed and grabbed my arm.

"What? What!" I pointed at the rat and he screamed just as loud which made me scream even more. The rat literally just sat there staring at us like we were idiots. River pulled me away.

"I told you I didn't want to go in there." I shoved his hand off of my arm and let my lungs inflate the fresh air. River looked nervous and I burst out laughing. "You scream like a little girl."

He laughed too, the both of us unable to talk through our laughter. Maybe we were still high.

"You scream like a little girl, did you see how fat it was? It could've eaten us!"

"Don't body shame the rat." I let my laughter fizzle to a giggle. "What's next?"

"Some of the arcade machines work?" I raised my brows in surprise and he just grabbed my hand again, pulling me along.

I played on the whack-a-mole machine, it had an automatic pop spring mechanic - so it worked without electricity. Whenever I whacked a mole, I inhaled dust and probably asbestos but I didn't care. I loved this place.

"So, what are you actually good at?"

I took my eyes away from the moles to look at him. He was leaning up against the wall casually, just watching me.

"Excuse me?"

"Well you suck at art. You can't do design technology. You don't like building things. I've been in your room and you don't really have anything that suggests a hobby or interest. All you seem to do is work. So what are your actual skills?"

"Wow, that was harsh."

"Home truths are harsh Millie." I pretended to whack him with my sponge hammer.

In all honesty, I didn't know what I wanted to do or be when I left school so I just settled into a day college which was basically a continuation of high school classes for those kids still 'figuring things out.'

I was here with the kids who failed high school, the kids who couldn't afford university, the kids who didn't know what they wanted to do and after a year, I was still just as clueless.