15 • Clubbing

Monique was one of those girls with a tiny waist and a peachy bum

Monique was one of those girls with a tiny waist and a peachy bum. She always had perfect, shiny hair and she knew her beauty was her strongest asset.

For that reason, she chose a tiny, full sequin silver dress for the sole purpose of standing out. I, however blended into the shadows with my little black dress.

Standing next to River, the pair of them holding hands they looked like supermodels and I felt completely inferior.

She went to cuddle him, her hands sprawled across his chest but he grabbed them, removing them and stepping aside. I wasn't close enough to hear them arguing but I could see she wasn't happy.

"I can't believe we're doing this." Ty whispered to me as he nervously fiddled with the buttons on the sleeve of his blue shirt.

"It's not too late to turn back." The doubts started rolling in and my anxiety levels climbed higher the closer we got.

"Millie, if I want to make this work with Wyatt I need to hang with his friends too. I need to go with them to the places they like to go."

"Some illegal warehouse party though? It's not really our scene Ty." I yanked my dress down lower on the leg, feeling exposed.

"Hi." Wyatt greeted Tyler.

"Hi." Tyler replied, blushing a clashing shade of red and pink. A cute smile curled at his lips.

River made no attempt to greet us, as expected but he did lean in and whisper something in his girlfriends ear, causing her to laugh like he'd just said something mean about us.

"The warehouse is up here." Wyatt pointed up the street to where loud music made the wet concrete vibrate. Tyler linked my arms and my heels made clanging sounds with each step I made.

As we approached the establishment we passed by a grubby man who sat on the floor with his head down. He was unkempt, dirty and had overgrown hair. There was nothing but a thin blanket draped over his legs for warmth.

"Homelessness is so disgusting." Monique pointed out in an entitled way.

"I know, right?" River agreed, "especially since we have enough riches in the world to end hunger and poverty." I think he was missing her point, or ignoring it.

"No River, that homeless man is an eye sore. He should be made to leave and not litter up our streets."

"Where do you expect him to go?" I asked.

River dropped money into a hat that he held out with dirty fingers. Monique stormed off towards the party but River stopped to talk to this man, he invited him to pick up a meal at Grammys whenever he needed one.

"That's okay, right?" He asked me and I nodded because of course it was okay.

"Yo." A bouncer greeted us at the door. He took turns stamping each of our hands. "If the cops come, run." He warned.