31 • Arrest

I felt so abnormal in my own body, like it was no longer mine

I felt so abnormal in my own body, like it was no longer mine. I didn't recognise the shape, I didn't like the feel of my skin and I didn't want to be trapped inside of it.

Up until now, I was doing okay.

Knowing I needed to face college this morning, walk the same hallways as Levi and the rest of the football team made a ball of anxiety squiggle up in my tummy, growing bigger and bigger with each passing second.

I had nothing to wear, the dresses made me feel too vulnerable, my tight jeans made me feel too exposed, sweatpants and a oversized T-shirt felt like the only suitable choice.

My mind kept yelling at me. I was being dramatic. Nothing happened. I was one of the fortunate girls who avoided rape. So why has the trauma of it stuck with me like superglue?

My phone vibrated against the table, sending my heart rate sky high. RIVER 🌊 flashed up on the caller ID and I answered.

"I'm outside."

"You're outside?"

The pulse pattered in my throat as I held back tears, I think I was relieved I didn't have to walk in alone.

"Don't keep me waiting Millie, hurry up."

Quickly I grabbed my bag and wadded to the side walk. His engine was still rumbling and he was too busy searching for something in his glove box to notice me climb in.

"Hey." I greeted.

He glanced up at me, inspecting me through the pane of glass on his spectacles and then frowned.

"What are you wearing?"

Stomach twisting with nerves, I looked down at myself, "I dressed comfortably today."

He started driving, "obviously, because you certainly didn't dress to impress."

"I'm impressing myself with the comfort I feel." I gave him a wide closed-lip smile and he rolled his eyes. Though quite the contrary, I wasn't comfortable. I was scared.

He parked up and my eyes erratically roamed the campus for any sight of them before I committed to actually getting out of the car. I guess I took far too long for Rivers liking because he climbed out and walked around the car to get my door.

"You ready?"

I wanted to say no.

To lock myself away in his car, or even better to have him drive me home where I could lock myself away in my bedroom. But that would have been extremely cowardly on my part.

Sensing my hesitation he offered me his hand and I looked up at him with bewilderment.

"We can't walk in holding hands." I pointed out.