21 • Project

"Millie!" Tyler came rushing over to me with enthusiasm

"Millie!" Tyler came rushing over to me with enthusiasm. "Remember last year when you made me dress like the Mattel Barbie for Halloween?"

"Oh god, what have you chosen Ty?" He smiled evilly, we do this. Pick the worst possible costumes for one another year after year.

"You, my beautiful friend are in for a real treat. I put a costume on hold for you in the Party Shoppe. I won't ruin the surprise but you're going to hate it."

I went to reply but got distracted by Wyatt who immediately slung his arm around Tyler and gave me a greeting head nod.

"Wyatt, have you seen River?" He's called in sick for his shift for the past few days. He ignored my messages and he hasn't been in class either.

"No, sorry Millie."

"Weren't you out with him last night?" Tyler dropped a bomb on his lie and it exploded right up in his face.

"Great. Good going Ty, just tell his boss he's ditching."

"I'm not his boss." I clarified, typing in my locker combination. "So he is avoiding me?" My fingers clutched the lock and pulled it open.

"Aw, he's not avoiding you pumpkin, he's just avoiding work and school because he wants to clear his head, whatever that means. Don't take it personally, River never replies to messages, he doesn't answer his phone and —"

"Oh my god." I whispered, shutting out Wyatt's voice.

"Is that your project?" Tyler asked in surprise. "That's amazing! Wow! Mill who knew you were so talented?"

I took it out, a beautifully carved brain, each bump smoothed out to perfection. Protruding from the brain were roses, each one a different size and shape to the other, giving them all a natural appearance. Thorns clung off the stem, sharpened to a dangerous point and where they dug into the brain the wood tore slightly, giving a strained appearance in the most artistic way.

When did he even have the time to do this?

God, he must've been working on it for weeks side by side with his own.

"I have to go." I told the guys, slamming my locker shut and making my way down to the wood shop classroom.

Mr Alan was there preparing for his next class. Although it was open, I still knocked on the door to grab his attention

"Millie Barnes." He greeted me with a welcoming smile. "Have you come to hand in your project?"

"Yes." I opened my bag and fished out my piece. The disappointment on Mr Alan's face was evident, in fact I think he even looked amused by the hunk of junk I was turning in. "I worked really hard on it."

"It's certainly unique." He ushered out slowly.

"It's a brain," I informed him because that definitely wasn't obvious. He nodded like he of course could see that. "It's my perception of the brain when it's being damaged by poor mental health."