chapter one

The Eden Club - 11pm

Connor looked at the body on the bed. They'd already dealt with one with one deviant at the Eden club, and he wasn't surprised there was a second one here. This body had been violated. The deviant was clearly aggressive. Blood had completely stained the sheets and the man's skin had been slashed. It almost made Connor uncomfortable. It almost made him feel sick.

Hank entered the room and Connor tensed up. He had to stop staring at the bed but he couldn't pull his eyes away. The air suddenly felt stiff and he felt like he couldn't breathe. This isn't normal. Something was wrong. Something was so very wrong. Something was wr-

𝕊𝕆𝔽𝕋𝕎𝔸ℝ𝔼 𝕀ℕ𝕊𝕋𝔸𝔹𝕀𝕃𝕀𝕋𝕐 🔻

"What have we got, connor?" Hank was close behind him. He had to pull himself together.

"Lieutenant. The victim is Noah Miller, he's 42 and has previous charges including petty theft. He's been dead for about an hour." Connor paused, trying to figure out his next set of words. "He has cuts all over his body. I'm not sure what the exact cause of death was but I'm assuming he was strangled, based on the bruises around his neck." Once finished, he let out a breath he didn't even realise he was holding.

"You ok, Connor?"

Yₒᵤ ₒₖ, cₒₙₙₒᵣ ...?
Yₒᵤ ₒₖ, cₒₙₙₒᵣ...?
Yₒᵤ ₒₖ, cₒₙₙₒᵣ?
Cₒₙₙₒᵣ!

"CONNOR!"

"Yes lieutenant?" Hank stared at him.

Shit.

Connor was ok, he was fine. Sure he had a software instability and sure looking at a dead body made his stomach churn but he was fine. He was fine.

Hank frowned slightly, "What's going on with you?" He seemed genuinely concerned. In all honesty, Connor didn't know what was going on and he definitely didn't know how to communicate his problem to hank. So he didn't. Instead, he reminded Hank that the deviant was probably still in the building. If they had learned anything from the previous deviant, then it couldn't have gotten far. It was important to get on with the mission. That was their job, after all. That was his job.

DPD Central Station - 1am

Connor was sat at his desk, opposite hank. He felt numb. What was going on with him? He shouldn't be feeling like this. He shouldn't be feeling at all. He noticed Hank staring at him.

"...so are we gonna talk about whatever that was back there?" The police station was almost empty, just a few nighttime officers at their desks, but Hank still kept his voice hushed. Connor had to keep his facade up, and had to pretend things were fine. They were fine.

Suddenly, Hank stood up. "Come on. We're going on a walk"

"Hank, I should really analyse these files now. This deviant was far more violent than others we've dealt with so there's probably a big clue here."

Hank simply nodded and walked off.

. . . . . ◟੭

Connor stood in his charging pod. The Detroit police hadn't really planned for his arrival which meant his charging station was far away from the other androids. It was in a quiet corridor, away from desks and police officers too. He usually liked that, it meant he could charge without being interrupted. Tonight, however, he hated it. Normally, he'd power himself down, but tonight he was scared to do that. What if he powered down and couldn't wake up?

Why was he thinking like that?
He was a machine.
He was a machine.

"Connor?"

"Amanda.."

Amanda looked at him, concerned. Not in the way Hank looked at him, with care and worry, but in a disappointed way. A disgusted way.

"Connor. How's your investigation going?" He couldn't lie to Amanda. She was literally in his code, in his brain. She would have known that Connor let the android on the roof run free in order to save hank, she would know that connor couldn't get a confession out of Carlos Ortiz android and she would certainly know about the increased amount of software instabilities he had been feeling. And thus, he told the truth. Or at least part of it.

"More and more androids are turning deviant. They're all different models and all made in different years. The only link between them is Ra9."

Amanda's face twisted and turned sour. "And what about you? You're not going deviant, are you connor?" He hadn't expected this, and quickly tried to splutter out a response. Before he could form his words, Amanda began speaking again. "Connor. You are the most advanced android cyber life has ever created. Your job is to prevent the spread of deviancy and restore humanity's fate in androids. Do not disappoint me."

Connor blinked, and as he did, he realised he was back in the police station. He was back in his charging pod in the quiet corridor. But something was different. Something was wrong.

...shit.

He pressed his hands gently against the red wall, causing it to ripple slightly

He pressed his hands gently against the red wall, causing it to ripple slightly. Was this what he wanted? To be free? To have control?

yes .

Connor pushed harder and harder. He moved his hands, revealing two large cracks in the wall. He was doing this. He threw his hands at the wall, violently punching and breaking it. It was exciting. It was freeing.

Eventually, the wall crumbed and Connor stepped forward slightly. He took a big breath and realised what he had done. Anxiety, at least that's what he figured it was, pricked at him. He suddenly felt sick and nervous. If anyone found out about what he had just done, he'd be shut down instantly and turned into scrap. He couldn't let that happen. He wouldn't let that happen.

Connor needed to survive. And the only way to do that, was to pretend to be a machine.

. . . . . ◟੭

A/N: this was originally going to be a one shot, but its already almost 1k words so instead I'm going to break it into multiple parts. Maybe two or three chapters. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed it!! Deviant connor is the best connor and no one can change my mind :)