Chapter 1

Logan Forrester came to a stop, panting, his tongue lolling out the side of his mouth. Being a rogue sucks. But I had to challenge Jase for alpha again. He's endangering the pack. He turned his head to glance behind him, not hearing the sounds of pursuit. At least that last pack seems to have stopped chasing me. He lay down for a bit, resting his head on his paws.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised I got kicked out of the pack. Jase's ego couldn't handle having me challenge him for alpha all the time. Still, I miss being in a pack. Whenever I get too close to a territory, they drive me off, threatening to kill me.This last one was a close call.

He had tried so hard to skirt around the pack areas, sensing them as he came close, but as difficult as most rogues were, the packs were... hostile. He dozed a bit, then saw a squirrel dashing about. Lunch. He dashed after it, and was soon swallowing the small morsel in satisfaction. Could have used a fire to roast it, but I didn't have a chance to grab supplies when I fled.

With a full belly, he suddenly realized there was an odd pressure on his mind. It was like he was in the edge of a pack's territory, but different. Why do I have a feeling I'm going to be running again, soon?But what's going to be chasing me this time?

Logan drifted off, expecting to be ambushed in the night.

-

He started awake when he heard a soft noise a short distance away. Advancing slowly, he came on the sight of a naked woman holding a rabbit, blood smeared on her face. Her eyes were looking directly at him.

She's gorgeous, he thought in awe. Brown hair, dark skin, perky breasts, slim waist and round hips. Her eyes were yellow. Logan's heart ached to take her in his arms. Oh God, she's my mate. He shifted to human and stepped forward with a smile. "Hi, I'm Logan. What's your name, beautiful?"

Her eyes narrowed before she bared her lengthening teeth and growled at him, then took a quick bite from the rabbit, clutching it close.

"Hey, I'm not gonna take your breakfast. I just wanted to meet you." She crouched down, black nails tearing into the the carcass as she took another bite, glaring at him. Logan glanced down at himself. His jeans and white T-shirt were tight on his body. He was barefooted, though. He'd left his shoes behind at the last camp when he fled for his life. "Do you want a shirt to cover yourself?"

She merely looked at him as she gnawed on one of the bones that remained. She had eaten the rabbit in record time. Her face and hands were now covered in blood. The bone snapped.

"Can you understand me?" She nodded slightly, then shifted into a large timber wolf. She was the first timber wolf he'd seen, and was larger than he'd expected her to be. She bounded off.

I'm gonna have to follow her. I expected her to recognize me as her mate and do... something. I dunno. He shifted to his wolf and chased after her. He was smaller than her, black with white feet. Great, she's going into the pack territory. Why does it have such an odd feel to it? Against his better judgment, he still followed her. It wasn't until they broke into a clearing that Logan realized he might have a problem. There was a mixture of about two dozen naked people and wolves lounging about. The wolves were all timber wolves that were larger than him. Even the females were larger than him, though barely.

The largest man shifted into a massive wolf and advanced on him casually. Logan stayed put. Why aren't they attacking me? The alpha circled him, sniffing, then simply strode away, shifting back to human form and taking one of the women in his arms, kissing her passionately.

What have I wandered into?