Chapter 8

The next morning, Hialeah's wounds were completely healed, and the stupid runt was still hanging around her, refusing to offer other females anything other than a hostile growl. That wouldn't have been so bad, except Ayita was sniffing around Unaduti and Rayetayah, who were bristling at each other. She's first in heat. I guess she's tired of trying to get the runt to take her.

It didn't take long for Rayetayah to back down, though. Unaduti's been above him for over a year. As wolves, Unaduti and Ayita were soon rutting. The runt was staring at them. Why's he staring at them? For that matter, why does it irritate me that he's staring at them?

It wasn't long before Salili was walking over to the males. Chuquilatague tried to approach her, but she growled at him before sidling along Rayetayah. Again, Chuquilatague didn't challenge the result. He'd been third wolf for a long time.

The runt's eyes were back on her, which left her less irritable. Okay, I'm next, but which of them will be my mate? Chuquilatague was watching her like a hawk, and the runt was eying him. Hialeah moved directly between them as the compulsive desire began to ripple through her body. I have to have a mate. I have to have a strong mate.

Chuquilatague started to approach her, when the runt sailed over her body, shifting to a human in mid-air a punching the larger wolf in the side of the head. Unlike their previous fight, the runt was punching and kneeing Chuquilatague non-stop. It was only when the former third lowered his head in submission that the runt shifted back to a wolf and approached her.

Okay, that was impressive, but is an attack like that enough to make him the strongest? The compulsion to mate passed through her body like a tremor, forcing a plaintive whine from her. The only male approaching her was the runt. The others refuse to challenge him.

With a sense of trepidation, she allowed the runt to mount her. The need to mate overwhelmed any other concern she had, even the risk that his weak genes would hinder the pack and her status in it. Just as they were completing the act, she felt his teeth bite into her shoulder. As confusion and pain flared through her, she suddenly felt a sense of peace and wellbeing conflicting with her own feelings.

What's this? She glanced back at her mate. Mine. This one is mine.For better or worse, the bond is there. But what's with these extra emotions? And why did he bite me?

The runt shifted to human and whispered in her ear, "I expected to hear your thoughts, love, but it seems we only share emotions. Why so stressed?" His tone of voice told her where the calm emotions were coming from. It only served to increase her anxiety. I've never heard of this. What's happened to me?She shifted and held her hand to the bite. It was already healed over. How?That's impossible!