Chapter 24

Hialeah felt the pups stirring in her belly as she rested her head on her paws. Another scream of pain caused her to shift her eyes to where the Zander-pup was "playing" with one of the older pups. It reminded her of Logan's fights, except Zander never got his punches back in. This time, the scream was a result of Zander's knee being shattered.

"Don't sit there crying like a baby! You'll heal as long as you don't take more damage getting kicked in the head!" Logan was watching from the sidelines as the smaller lycan backed off, watching in rapt fascination as Zander's knee straightened itself. In a few seconds, it was able to support his weight again.

The pup was grinning as Zander-pup got back to his feet. "Why the hell would you do that?" the werewolf demanded, anger lacing his voice.

The pup's face fell. "You said you wanted to spar." He looked to Logan, obviously worried that he'd done something wrong.

"Don't worry, Adahy, you did a good job," Logan said with a friendly pat on the shoulder, dismissing him. When he turned to Zander-pup, his face dropped into a scowl. "As for you, you need to quit whining if you ever want to claim your mate. I've told you how to protect yourself and fight back. You've watched me take my licks from mated males. I'm taking harder punches and kicks on a daily basis. Have you seen me cry out in pain even once?"

Zander shook his head, staring at the ground with an angry expression.

Logan's fist snapped out, breaking Zander's jaw. "Then learn how to take a fucking punch without crying!"

Logan turned his back on Zander, who jumped on his back. Logan flipped Zander over his shoulder and punched him in the throat. Logan walked away while Zander lay on the ground, gasping for breath.

A glance at Usdi smiling in amusement confirmed Hialeah's thought. This kid will never win a mate here.