Chapter 17

"The territory's shifting! Pull back!" Hank shouted, leading the patrol group back towards the pack house.

"What's going on?" James asked.

"Lycan migration. Get the fuck back!"

"What, another pack invading? I'll go get the warriors," the teenager replied cockily.

Logan shifted his gaze back and forth between the two. Hank frowned. "We just need to get back inside our territory. We aren't fighting anybody." Hints of fear were rolling off his body, making James and Logan edgy as they caught its scent.

"What are lycans?" He finally asked.

Hank shifted his focus to Logan before answering. "We're not sure. But anyone who challenges them dies. We let them through, nobody gets hurt."

-

Logan jerked awake. No one in his pack had ever challenged the migration that he recalled, the migration he was now a part of.

The scouts that had just survived meeting them had taken the pieces of their leader back to their territory with a small escort. There had been no more problems.

Hialeah had added the knife to her travois. There was actually a collection of weapons, mostly silver, even though he'd never seen a pack member practice with one.

Rolling over, he saw his lovely mate staring at him. Most of the blood had flaked off. Not that she didn't look gorgeous, regardless of the gore, but it was a little bit disturbing. Almost as disturbing as the half form she'd used to fight.

"How did you do that, with the half-human, half-wolf thing?" he whispered.

Her brows furrowed, then she shrugged. "I just do it, sometimes. We all do. It's just a little tricky to stay balanced between forms."

"We can't do that. We're one or the other."

She nodded slightly. "Yeah. Sucks to be you guys, I guess," she smirked.

"At least we heal fast," I smirked back.

"True. I guess that means I can play rough with you." There was a teasing smile on her face before they made love.

She was fun to play rough with.