Chapter 23

Logan felt his spine snap as Unaduti swung him against a tree by his feet. He shifted to wolf, his back legs sprawling awkwardly while his spine repaired itself. Unaduti was smirking when Logan suddenly leaped forward, biting down hard on Unaduti's arm. There was a satisfying snap as the bones gave way. Unfortunately, it was followed by a fist to the side of Logan's head, dislodging him.

The two combatants faced off warily, until Logan shifted back to human. The bruise on the side of his face was fading as the two smiled at each other. Then parted ways amicably.

Zander was staring at Logan, slack-jawed. "You expect me to go through that?"

"Daily, if you want your mate to recognize you."

"But those punches to the head knock me out every time!"

"Then you better get tougher, and fast. I've got alpha blood, and all I can do is hold my own when sparring. If it was a battle to the death, I would probably lose. Fighting them is not like fighting werewolves," Logan replied with a serious tone.

Zander looked really nervous. "How should I practice?" he finally whined. Logan punched him in the jaw without warning. "What the hell!" Zander wasn't in a fighting stance yet, so Logan just punched him again, repeatedly, until the warrior started attempting to defend himself.

"You learn how to fight by fighting," Logan finally answered, once Zander wasn't taking hits to the head any more. "Anyone can challenge you for any reason." Logan did a quick leg sweep, dropping Zander back to the ground. "Your main competition right now is the unmated males. Rank is based only on your ability to make them submit." He kicked at Zander's head. "And your only edge is your healing, endurance, and maybe your speed."

Zander was in a fetal position, trying to protect his head when Logan stopped. Kneeling down, he whispered in Zander's ear, "Do you care so little for your mate? If so, go home now and be mateless. She will never accept you this weak."

Logan returned to Hialeah, stroking her soft fur before he shifted to wolf next to her. They'd made it to the summer hunting grounds without incident, but he'd noticed the newly mated females were shifting rarely, now. Hialeah stayed as a wolf almost all the time, sometimes choosing to remain bloody after a hunt, rather than clean herself.

She wasn't in distress, though she'd get irritable if he pushed her to be human with him. In the end he accepted it.

He watched Zander carefully. He has to get it together. He has to learn how to fight better. He's used to being an average fighter, and that being good enough. Jase has allowed the new batch of fighters to slack off far too much while he pursues his crazy agenda.

Finally, Zander got up and tried to go to Usdi, again, for comfort. Again, she growled and snapped at him. The look of sorrow and pain had become a constant part of Zander's features in the two weeks they had spent traveling.

I'm going to have to force him to fight one of the young males, soon. He's spending too much time sulking, and not enough establishing rank. Letting himself get beat up by me isn't helping him. Logan began plotting how to make Zander's life a living hell. For his own good, of course.