Chapter 22

Hialeah lay sunning herself, enjoying the warmth on her bare skin, as her mate worked with the Zander-pup to explain things. Logan had gone over the basic, "no clothes, rank is everything, be ready to get beat up," routine already. The Zander-pup had taken off his clothes, grudgingly, but was skeptical of the rest.

"You're telling me I have to fight for the right to claim my mate?"

"No, I'm telling you as far as she's concerned, you're not her mate. She has none."

"Even a human can feel the mating tug, and she's a werewolf."

"She's not a human, and she's not a werewolf. That's your problem." The Zander-pup looked at Logan skeptically, who pulled ran his hands through his hair in frustration. "Look, forget everything you think you know. These are lycans, not werewolves. They're completely different. They don't wear clothes because when they shift, their clothes would be destroyed. They don't heal as fast as we do. They're immune to silver. They are different."

Finally, the Zander-pup responded, "Look, all I care about is when I can claim her as my mate and go home."

Like that'll happen. Usdi won't accept him. She's more likely to kill him.

"That depends on when she goes into heat."

The pup gave him a blank stare. "Seriously? What are they, animals?"

"Sort of." Hialeah snorted, but Logan forged on. "They're more wolf than human."

"Fine. So when does that happen."

Logan looked at her, clearly uncertain. "Maybe in around four months," she supplied. Not that he'll last that long, she thought with a smirk.

"Four months! Jase is going to expect me back in a few weeks, tops!"

"Be grateful. It'll probably take you that long to have a chance at claiming her as your mate. Right now, you don't stand a chance."

"Why not?"

"Because you couldn't beat up a girl."

Hialeah smiled to herself. The Zander-pup will be amusing to watch.