26. Layla

"Here try this one too

"Here try this one too." Alexis orders me, throwing another dress to the pile.

"Alexis I think that's enough. I only need one." I try to explain but she just runs off in another direction.

"You don't have to buy them all but atleast try them, so you can know what colors and styles look good on you."

That would've been smart if this wasn't already our third store today. "I'm tired Alexis." I whine.

"Alright, calm down we'll go try them on." She finally caves.

"Thank you." I run off before she can change her mind.

"Hey Alexis?" I called out from the changing room

"Yes sweetie?" Her honey like voice came from across the curtain.

I step out of the room. "I think I want to get this one."

She gasps. "You look.. otherworldly." She smiles at me.

"In a good way or?" I trail off.

She grabs me by my shoulders. "Of course in a good way mija. You could never look bad, not to me."

My heart clenches a little when she calls me her daughter in Spanish. "You didn't tell me you were Spanish." I divert like the not confrontational bitch I am. 

"Born and raised. That's how I met your mother actually. She ran away from her family and came to Spain. We became friends at a bar, I just started blabbering away all my problems to her and here being the kind person she was, she listened to me talk for 3 hours." She smiled fondly at the memory.

"You know she always used to say, 'I carry a baby for nine months, go through excruciating labour only for them to come out looking like their father.' But when she gave birth to you and your brother, she was over the moon and she announced to everyone who came to see her that you will be the one who brings justice to her genes and my god was she right."

"She named you Selene because it was another name for Luna. She always dressed you in same clothes as her just in smaller sizes. And you're just as gorgeous as her, if not more. She would be so happy if she were here." I see Alexis holding back tears.