Year One: Chapter Five

3rd person POV:

Harry's heart sank faster than he'd just dived.

Professor Mcgonagall was running towards them.

He got to his feet, trembling. Y/n was gulping nervously as she looked over Mcgonagall's shocked face.

Now they've done it, they were going to be expelled, she thought miserably.

"Never — in all my years at Hogwarts —" Professor Mcgonagall was almost speechless with shock, and her glasses flashed furiously, "— how dare you two — might have broken your neck."

"It wasn't their fault, Professor —"

"Be quiet, Miss Patil —"

"But Malfoy —"

"That's enough, Mr. Weasley. Potter, L/n, follow me, now."

Harry caught sight of Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle's triumphant faces as he left, walking numbly in Professor Mcgonagall's wake as she strode toward the castle.

Y/n sent a desperate look to Ron. She wanted to say something to defend them, but there was something wrong with her voice. The bubble of anxiety that had slowly deflated over her time at Hogwarts seemed to expand all at once, leaving her to be frozen in anticipation and dread.

Up the front steps, up the marble staircase inside, and still Professor Mcgonagall didn't say a word to them. She wrenched open doors and marched along corridors with the two first years trotting miserably behind her.

Maybe she was taking them to Dumbledore?

Harry thought of Hagrid, expelled but allowed to stay at Hogwarts. Perhaps he and Y/n could be Hagrid's assistants, if Y/n wanted. She could always go back home, but Harry would do anything to not go back to the Dursleys. Even though being an assistant and staying on ground would be a much better improvement compared to his other option, his stomach twisted as he imagined it, watching Ron and the others becoming wizards as he stumped he grounds carrying Hagrid's bag.

Professor Mcgonagall stopped outside a classroom. She opened the door and poked her head inside.

"Excuse me, Professer Flitwick, could I borrow Wood for a moment?"

Y/n and Harry shared a shocked look, eyes comically wide.

Was Wood a cane she would use on them? Y/n thought.

If Y/n saw anything of the sort, she would run, she promised herself. She could drag Harry along with her. She figured it was the least she could do.

Much to Y/n and Harry's relief, Wood was a person, a burly fifth-year boy who come out of Flitwick's class looking confused.

"Follow me, you three," said Professor Mcgonagall, and they marched on up the corridor.

Wood looked curiously at Harry and Y/n.

Professor Mcgonagall pointed them into a classroom that was empty except Peeves, who was busy writing rude words on the blackboard.

"Out, Peeves!" She barked.

Peeves threw the chalk into a bin, which clanged loudly, and he swooped out cursing. Professor Mcgonagall slammed the door behind him and turned to face the three students.

"Potter, L/n, this is Oliver Wood. Wood — I've found you a seeker and a chaser."

Wood's expression changed from one to puzzlement to delight.

"Are you serious, Professor?"

"Absolutely," said Professor Mcgonagall crisply. "The two are naturals. I've never seen anything like it. Was it your first time on a broomstick, Potter, L/n?"