Anniversary Antics

Emma's POV:

Wade and I tied the knot last year, and we've adjusted pretty well to married life. Sure, it's a little different from what you'd call 'wedded bliss', but it works for us, given our day job. 'Phoenix' has officially become a mercenary, mainly taking out people like Francis, my parents, and basically anyone who's ever royally pissed me off. While I've remained local, Wade's been on a 'world tour' for six weeks. He's coming home for our anniversary today. Luckily, I found the perfect present yesterday. So I'm sitting on top of the couch, Vanessa sitting beside me to catch Wade's reaction on video when he bursts through the door.

Wade: "Sorry I'm late. There was a bunch of handicapped children stuck in a tree and I had to-"

Vanessa & I: "Uh-uh."

Wade: "You're right. I was fighting a caped badass. But then we discovered his mom was named Martha, too.

Bite back the smile, Em. Save it for the surprise.

Wade: "Traffic?"

Me: "God, you're lucky you're cute."

I leap into his arms and pull him in for a quick, passionate kiss.

Wade: "I'm gonna shower and get out of this suit."

Me: "Don't you want your present first?"

Wade: "Do I look like a patient burn victim? I got one for you, too. Happy Anniversary, Sweetness."

He places me on the countertop as Vanessa gives me a thumbs up from behind the camera, and we toss each other our presents. I open mine to find-

Wade: "A maple leaf token."

Me: "Waffle House."

Wade: "Yep. That is genuine high-grade lead, specially made."

Me: "I'll keep it forever."

Wade kisses me in reply.

Me: "Open yours."

Wade opens the box to find the surprise.

Wade: "Well, that's just the most beautiful thing that I've-I don't know what this is."

Did I mention I love acronyms?

Me: "An S.P.T."

Wade: "A bomb?"

Me: "No, unicorn boy, a 'Surprise Pregnancy Test'."

Wade: "Wait, you're-"

Me: "Pregnant, party of two."

Wade: "Oh, my God!"

Wade tosses the stick away and pulls me into a tight hug as Vanessa and I laugh.

Wade: "Oh, my God! I want a boy! Or a little girl! Definitely one or the other! And I want our kid to have only one name. Like, Cher or Todd."

Me: "Whoa, easy there, cowboy! We still have a lot of things to do before we get to all that. First off, I love you, but you really need a shower."

Wade: "Fine. But you're coming with me."

Wade gently tosses me over his shoulder and walks towards the bathroom.