Chapter 6

It's easy enough for Isaac to wave the paramedics off. Susan provides a very convenient distraction due to the bloody nose apparently caused by using her powers. She gives him an unamused look for using her to avoid being checked over, but he can't find it in himself to feel bad about it.

Instead, he sits on the edge of a cot, tilts his head back, and closes his eyes as he tries to forget the crowd of people outside the tent's thin walls.

Movement to his right catches his attention.

"Don't," he says, not even opening his eyes.

"I wasn't gonna do anything!" Johnny says defensively.

Isaac sighs and turns to give him a pointed look as the vine- now wrapped around his bare arm- readjusts itself. "Leave it alone, Johnny."

"Oh, come on!" he complains, gesturing with one hand at the plant. "I mean, how does that even work? Can you understand it or what?"

"Yes and no," Isaac tells him, not bothering to elaborate and only offering a painfully fake, close-lipped smile when Johnny gives him a look for it.

Isaac can tell he's trying to decide whether it's worth it to try poking at the vine again. He takes care of the decision himself by shrugging his jacket back on so the ivy is covered.

The ivy leaves shiver slightly for a second before it settles down in a way he's quickly learning to interpret as a feeling of happiness and content.

Johnny huffs and, realizing he won't be getting any more of Isaac's attention right now, turns his own to Ben. "Where are your ears?" he asks, honestly curious.

Ben finally looks up from the ring still sitting in his hand. New stone features aside, he can't possibly appear more unimpressed. He catches Isaac's eyes and nods at the blond in silent request.

Isaac nods back and unceremoniously reaches over to smack Johnny on the back of the head. It's barely a tap, despite his dramatic reaction saying otherwise.

"Ow!" he exclaims, one hand coming up to rub at his head while he pouts at Isaac in betrayal.

"Thanks, Flower Child," Ben says, smiling for the first time since his transformation.

Isaac frowns at him. "Don't call me that."

"Oh, I think it's more appropriate than ever." Ben gestures in his general direction, smile growing wider. "You can just grow yourself a flower crown now."

Isaac only frowns harder. Johnny, however, lights up.

"Do it!" he encourages.

"No," Isaac says flatly.

Johnny grins at him. "Come on. I'm sure you'd look great," he adds, tone only half teasing.

Any further conversation is interrupted by a fireman. He walks over, helmet under one arm as he looks directly at Reed and gestures over his shoulder with his free hand.

"There's some folks outside who, uh, wanna talk to you," he tells them.

Reed frowns. "We're not going public with this," he protests. "We're scientists, not celebrities."

The fireman shakes his head. "It's too late, son. Look." He moves over to a small television sitting nearby and switches it on to the news.

The top story is, of course, about the pile up on the bridge and the five people who saved the firefighters from falling over it.

"That's what they're calling you. The Fantastic Five."

Johnny grins. "Cool!"

"The hell?" Isaac groans. "What? Now we're living in some sort of comic book?"