Ask Thad

H's POV:

I crawled under the metal fence and finally Chad was there. I had been checking all day, every half hour or so. I wanted to see him again SO BAD and feel that great feeling again. This time he was with someone, was this his 'bro?'

"Hey H, you got here pretty quick. This is my brother Thad!" Chad told me.

Oh, it was short for brother. I assumed that it had something to do with being related by oil? "Nice to meet you Thad!"

"Nice to meet you too H!" he said.

Oh wow, maybe this was too much for me. Did I really not scare these two? They wouldn't even flinch when I looked at them, they wouldn't assume I'm the violent and untrustworthy monster I was supposed to be. This would be a perfect opportunity for one of those monsters to attack them and suck their oil out. Even my instincts wanted to do the same, but I held back like I had done for most of my life. "You too! I responded and tried to smile through the disturbing thought.

"Maybe we should watch a movie?" Chad suggested.

A movie. I had read small discs with writing on them, sometimes featuring that word. In the past, I had read other things about them enough to figure out what they were. (For us disassembly drones were conveniently gifted with the programming of knowing how to read instead of learning it over time at school like the worker drones did.) I had tried to plug the little discs into the televisions but they didn't work. The televisions, which had screens much like our own, could apparently play little stories after being plugged in, but there was no power in the wasteland that the great ruins of the human civilization was, and I never got to watch a movie at the time until I watched one with Chad and his brother.

His brother agreed so we went inside because the parents were at work and it was too cold outside anyways, and Chad plugged in one of the discs and played the movie. I was amazed by the movie and wondered how it was made. It was called "Godzilla" and was about these humans trying to escape from a giant creature. I learned something that night, I learned that movies were amazing. The sound and music in the background, it was all so cool. I almost felt like I was experiencing the things that were happening.

We were about an hour into the movie when I realized Chad, who had been sitting next to me, was now asleep with his head on my shoulder. I wasn't sure what to do, and then Thad noticed what was going on and started laughing.

"W-What's so funny about this?" I asked him.

"Oh, nothing." He responded, still giggling to himself.