Chapter 1

Lacey Brennon was lost in thought as she sat under the big oak tree in her backyard. It was early and she had hoped that the light breeze and the sound of the birds chirping would calm this strange feeling she had been having for the last few days. She honestly just hadn't felt like herself lately and she really didn't know why.

For one thing, her appetite was almost nonexistent. Which was weird because as a werewolf, she loved her food.

Two, whatever the feeling was, it made her feel nervous, jittery, and clumsy.

Of course, she was naturally a bit clumsy since she was blind, due to the loss of her sight when she was five. Although she had learned to lean on her other senses, which were already stronger since she was a werewolf, to help her. However, this was different.

Lacey felt off balance somehow and it confused her. Oh, how I wish my brother Jordon was here to talk to. Jordon always seemed to know how to calm my fears.

"Lacey? Lacey where are you?"

"Over here, Mama, under the tree." Lacey answered in a slightly raised voice.

"What are you doing out here, child? Rania will be here any moment to take you to school."

"I know, Mama. I just..." Lacey softly sighed, not sure what to tell her mama.

"You don't feel like yourself today, I know. However, your birthday was two days ago, so I believe this is nothing more than your wolf's excitement. I would imagine she's hoping you will find your mate soon, possibly at school today," Mama declared as she grabbed Lacey's hand and pulled her up.

"Okay, Mama. I believe you. I suppose I'm just scared that he won't want me since I'm blind and just needed a little reassurance that everything will be okay."

"We all need a little reassurance sometimes.

"Mm-hm, plus, I wish Jordon was here," Lacey admitted. "He always seems to know just what to say when I feel this way."

"Oh, I don't know, Lacey," Mama said with a soft tut. "If Jordon was here, he might run your mate off with his fierce big brother act."

"Yeah, that's true. Still, I miss him. He's never been away this long before," Lacey reminded her as sadness filled her chest creating an ache.

Mama wrapped Lacey in her arms. "I know you do, bug. However, if you meet your mate, it will fill that lonely spot, so you won't miss Jordon quite so much. Sometimes I worry you two might be too close."

Lacey opened her mouth to ask why because she could almost hear the concern in her mama's voice.

"Lacey? Are you ready, girlfriend? If we don't leave soon, we'll be late," Raina yelled.

From the sound of her voice, Lacey knew Raina was at the gate beside the house and turned her head to face it.

"Go on to school, Lacey bug. We'll talk when you get home," Mama said as she kissed Lacey on the forehead and stepped back.

"All right," Lacey agreed before moving quickly across the yard. As she slipped out the gate, she said, "Good morning, Raina."

"Morning," Raina replied. "Is it a good one so far? Are you excited about possibly meeting your mate today?"

Climbing into Raina's car, Lacey shrugged. "If I do, I do. If I don't I don't and there is nothing I can do either way."

Raina chuckled and pulled out of the driveway, headed to school. "True."

The two were silent with the radio playing softly in the background.

Lacey closed her eyes as her thoughts whirled like a spinning top. She enjoyed the learning part of school. However, the effort it took to get from one class to another was mostly a bother. Some of her fellow students had asked her why she was even in public school. Honestly, Lacey wasn't sure, but figured it had to do with learning to cope in the real world on a small scale. Besides, with her extra senses, she didn't struggle too much at doing all the things everyone else did.