Chapter 6

Lacey shrugged and, in a teary whisper, explained, "I don't know. I really don't remember any of it. I didn't even remember you, but I've been having these dreams about a big blond man. I-I thought he was my father."

"Oh, Lacey," Alpha Gray murmured as he stood. Coming around the desk, he knelt in front of Lacey and pulled her into his arms as she cried.

As Alpha Gray held her, Mama began to speak softly. "She was such a sweet little girl, and she bonded with Jordon the moment they met. I remember him walking in and her asking who he was. When Jordon told her he was her new brother, she patted the bed next to her, and he climbed up next to her."

"I remember that happening," Jordon said. "She crawled up on my lap then and started smelling of me. Which, you know, kinda weirded my seven-year-old self out, but she said I smelled like home and strawberry bubblegum. I didn't understand why I smelled like gum because I hadn't had any that day."

Lacey giggled as she leaned back out of Alpha Gray's arms. "That's okay, Jordon at least you outgrew it, unlike Ryan, who still smells like grape bubblegum!"

"My son smells like grape bubblegum," Alpha John said as his eyebrows raised. "I'm almost afraid to ask what I smell like to you."

Looking his way, Lacey replied, "Like spearmint, Alpha. Well, Ryan does too, but the grape is stronger that's how I tell the difference between the two of you."

"Is, is that how you compensate for not seeing? By smelling?" Alpha Gray asked her as he returned to his seat.

Lacey lost her smile. "Yeah, it is. Scents have become my lifeline."

The room was silent until the door opened.

#

"Dad, there seems to be a problem with the kitchen sink. Mom wants you... Oh, I'm so sorry, I didn't know anyone was here," a young man said as he stood awkwardly in the doorway.

Lacey had turned toward the door when it opened, and she now took a deep breath. "Joey, is that you?"

"Um... my name is Joseph, and you are?" Joseph asked as his eyes narrowed in on her.

"I'm the one who use to steal your jar of dill pickles if you didn't watch it close enough! Are you still addicted to them?" Lacey asked as she stood and walked toward him.

"Steal my jar of pickles? The only person to ever do that was..." Joseph's voice trailed off, and he looked confused.

Lacey lifted her nose and sniffed. "You still smell like pickles, Joey."

After staring at Lacey for a long moment, Joseph smiled, his face lighting up in recognition. "Lacey, is it really you? We all thought you were..."

"I know. I'm sorry I forgot about you for so long. So, so, sorry," Lacey apologized as tears once more ran down her cheeks.

"Ah, Lacey, don't cry! I'll go get you a dill pickle of you stop crying," Joey said as he wrapped her up in a hug.

"Lacey, would you like to introduce me to this man you're hanging on," Jordon said with a growl as jealousy ran through him, his wolf's hackles raised.

Lacey turned with a big smile, answering, "Jordan, I want you to meet my favorite cousin, Joey."

Joseph rolled his eyes. "I'm the only cousin you know, Lacey."

Lacey giggled and squeezed his arm.

Jordon relaxed and held out his hand for Joseph to shake. Relief flooded his body that the man was family, and he said, "It's nice to meet you, Joey. I'm Jordan, Lacey's mate."