Chapter 2

Jordon was glad to be going home. It had been a long two weeks, he thought as he stared out the passenger side window of the SUV, he and Ryan were riding in.

Ryan rolled down the window about that time and took a big deep breath. "Smell that, Jordon? That is the smell of home!" He glanced over and his grin dropped into a frown. "Hey, man. Are you all right? You've been awfully quiet."

"Yeah, I'm fine Ryan," Jordon said. "I'm just ready to sleep in my own bed and eat Mama's cooking."

Ryan raised an eyebrow before pulling off the road and shutting down the car.

"Hey, what are you doing? We're almost home," Jordon protested as he sat up straight.

Ryan sighed. "Look, Jordon, I'm your best friend, have been for a long time now, and I know when something is bothering you. Now tell me what's wrong, let me help."

Jordon growled as he laid his head back against the seat to stare at the roof of the vehicle. He really didn't want to talk about it, it was so embarrassing.

"Come on, Jordon, talk. Trust me, you'll feel better," Ryan encouraged in a calm tone.

"Fine, I'll tell you what's wrong," Jordon growled. "It's Lacey. For a couple of weeks, before we left, she was extra clingy, at least to me. It's like she somehow knew I was leaving before I did. The day Papa told me we were leaving for training I was so excited, yet when I told her, instead of being happy for me she went to her room and cried."

"Well, the two of you are practically attached at the hip. And this is the first time you've been gone a long time away from her."

"I know, but when I heard her crying my wolf became really upset and restless to the point I found it hard to sleep that night, and when I finally did it was to be jarred back awake by someone coming into my room."

"Lacey?"

Jordon nodded.

"What did you do?" Ryan asked.

"I lay there not knowing what to do. Should I let her know I was awake or just pretend to be asleep? She crawled into my bed then and curled up against my side. I could smell her tears Ryan and it made me so sad," Jordan whispered.

"Did she say anything to you?"

"Yeah. She said she was sorry for not being happy for me, but she didn't want me to leave her," Jordon said. "Then she went on to say she'd been having these weird dreams and they were making her confused and nervous. Next, she said I was her rock, the one that kept her sane." He groaned and scrubbed a hand across his face.

"Is that all?"

"Oh, no, she didn't stop there. She asked me how she was supposed to survive for two weeks without me. That wasn't enough though, next was the guilt trip about how I would be missing her birthday on top of all that. My wolf was growling so loud by that time I'm surprised she didn't hear him."

"Wow, Lacey really was upset wasn't she? So, at that point did you let her know you were awake?"

Jordan blew out a breath as he glanced at his friend. "No, not exactly. I just turned onto my side and pulled her close, wrapping my arms around her, it's something I've done hundreds of times, but this time I..." He swallowed hard as he turned away from Ryan's knowing gaze to stare out the window. He felt the heat rise in his cheeks as he remembered what happened next.

"But this time you what, Jordon?"

"This time when I pulled her close, her chest brushed against mine and suddenly I wanted to kiss her, touch her. I wanted her under me, her warmth surrounding me." Jordon groaned as he glanced at his friend from the corner of his eye and saw the shocked look on his face