Chapter 9

A week later, Lacey was sitting in her new favorite place in the Pine Ridge pack lands. She had come across the place on the first day Ralph had taken her exploring, and after getting him to take her there every day, she could now get there on her own.

She sat back against an old fallen log and thought back to how the week had gone.

She had gotten to know Ralph very well and found him to be a very smart little boy. He also loved his sister with everything in him, and he didn't seem to mind doting on her when their mom was busy. She also wondered if Ralph and Jennifer might end up being mates because their bond seemed so strong. It reminded her a bit of how she and Jordon were at a young age.

Uncle Steven had told them that Ralph was an orphan he had taken in when she had outright asked him.

She and Ralph had brought little Jennifer with them a couple of times, but she quickly realized that although JoAnn had no problems with letting Ralph be gone for hours, she didn't like Jennifer out of her sight for more than an hour or so.

Definite favoritism and so sad.

Lacey and Uncle Joe had reconnected also. With her staying in his home, it had been simple. He had been telling her a lot of things about her dad, so now she felt as if she knew him instead of him being a stranger. Lacey really hadn't known much about her dad before because her mom had refused to talk about him because of her depression.

Ah... and then there was Joey, or Joseph as he likes to be called now. It was like they had never been apart. They laughed and joked and teased each other like siblings.

Lacey snickered. I still steal his jar of dill pickles when he isn't looking. Or at least I'm pretty sure he isn't looking at me, but since I can't see well enough to tell, who knows?

The only blight on Lacey's sun at this point was that girl. The one who dared to put her hands on Lacey's mate the very time they had come.

Lucy. She thinks she's being sneaky, slinking around and catching Jordon when Lacey isn't with him. What Lucy doesn't seem to realize is that Jordon lets Lacey know every time it happens and that Lacey can smell her on him. Or she realizes and just doesn't care.

I'm going to have to confront her again, but I don't want to. My wolf is pushing through stronger and stronger every time she smells Lucy on her mate. I know it's only a matter of time before she'll snaps.

Jordon told her how Lucy would come to the training field and stare at him. What was it about Jordon that seemed to hold Lucy's attention that way? Most she-wolves would back off, but for some reason, Lucy wasn't.

Lacey lay back against the tree and closed her eyes. Suddenly she felt her wolf become alert, and she stiffened, barely breathing as she listened. She heard nothing, yet she felt as if she was being watched. It wasn't a good feeling because it seemed filled with malice and had chill bumps covering her bare arms. She took a deep breath, trying to catch the scent of whoever it was, but they must be too far away because she smelled nothing.

Slowly Lacey stood, and the feeling was gone as quickly as it had come. It was as if they had left now that she seemed to be leaving too. Just in case, though, she acted as if nothing was out of place and began to make her way back to the Alpha's house.

"Well, well, aren't we back a bit earlier than usual? I thought maybe you'd spend the day with your lover and come back at dark as usual," a snide voice commented from in front of her.

Lucy, of course. Lacey suddenly felt the same malice she had felt earlier. It was Lucy watching me earlier, but why?

Lacey felt her wolf rising with a snarl. She was tired of letting it go, now was the time to end this thing with Lucy once and for all. "Back off, Lucy. You don't want to make me mad because I can guarantee it will be painful for you."