Birthday Girl ~ Part 7

SOFIA POV

Gerry roams down the courtyard, fumbling with his phone in his hands. Me and Javier take quick strides to catch up with him.

"You leaving, Gerry?" I call out, and he turns around, scoffing. He probably thought I would never talk to him unless it was absolutely necessary.

"Why are you stalking me, Sofi?" he shoves his phone into the pocket in his jeans. He uses my nickname cleverly to get under my skin. The only people that I let call me Sofi is Raul and my mother.

"I don't know, dude. You're always just kind of there." I retort. Another simple manipulation technique: make the person feel worthless and unwanted so they become vulnerable.

"I know what you're hiding." I taunt. There is no way that Gerry, of all people, is smart enough to get access to files such as Isabela's birth certificate and gender reassignment documents, let alone put together a video of that complexity. He must've been blackmailed the same way as Raul and Natalia.

Gerry halts and turns around, his face an expression of realisation. He points an accusing finger at me.

"It was you. You sent the message." he scoffs, as if he should've known all along. He fixes me with a searching stare.

"Okay, listen to me. If anyone finds out, Sofia, it won't end well for you." Gerry grows closer to my face at an attempt to be intimidating. Javier touches his shoulder as a warning.

I grin at him. Find out what? Now I'm intrigued.

"Listen to me carefully-" he continues, but I cut him off before he has the chance to threaten me.

"It wasn't me, dude." I smirk. Javier's hand drops as he changes his stance, taken aback.

"Oh, no?"

"No, Gerry. But I know it was you. You played that video of Isabela so you could keep you could keep your secret."

He gives me a fake smile, trying to cover up the fact that I'm right. His little slip may cost him.

"I don't have any secrets."

I roll my eyes at his stupidity. He honestly thought I would buy that? If he doesn't have any secrets, then why did he play the video?

"No?"

"No. Good luck." he reaches out and touches my chin, making me flinch away from him.

"Don't touch her." Raul's voice comes from behind me, startling us all. I turn and see him walking up to Gerry, who is confused why he would care. I stare at him, unblinking, surprised,

"Come on, dude. Leave them alone." He says, approaching him, and Gerry looks back at me, turning to Javier as he walks off with Raul by his side.

"And you... You need to choose better friends. I told you. That girl's bad news." he points at Javier.

"Gerry." Raul growls to Gerry's surprise.

"Why do you care?" Gerry mumbles, but Raul brushes off the question.

"Let's just go."

"You're the one who should be worried, Gerry. Looks like someone's paying close attention to your friends. And stop bothering Luis!" I yell down the courtyard, causing a couple people to turn their heads and my anger boils when I see him chuckle. Annoyed, I scratch my chin in thought.

Me and Javier watch silently as they walk off, and before they round the corner of the building, Raul glances back, looking me in the eyes, giving me a look, which is a mixture of satisfaction and sadness, before he leaves my sight.