There's No Place Like Home

I have never felt so relaxed in my entire life.

I'll admit, I was sore and wanted nothing more than to plop down in the comfort of my bed and pass out then and there.

But I sat there on the bus, blissful at the sight of the children finally asleep.

The bus' gentle speed was enough to rock me into my own slumber. The warm ray of the rising sun shone on my face, eliciting a long sigh of relief from me as I closed my eyes and let myself go.

The ride back was a lengthy one, to say the least, stopping for gas and bathroom breaks every once in a while, grabbing lunch at a diner and almost losing two kids.

Then, I finally stepped off the bus at the entry point of my neighbourhood around sunset, waving to the few children who hadn't been dropped off yet as they said their goodbyes from the windows.

It felt so good to breathe in air that hadn't been contaminated by the smell of animal faeces and children's miscellaneous odour.

I just enjoyed myself, speeding down the streets. Even deciding to take the long way home just to savour the moment.

I must've looked like a fool, randomly riding around with no actual destination or goal in mind.

But eventually, my stomach screamed at me to be fed and I had to cut my leisure time short.

But unlike before, I wasn't looking forward to going home anymore.

🕖  🕚  🕕  🕙  🕗  🕠

My heart felt heavy as I stood down the driveway of my house, eyeing the only lit room with the silhouette of my father slumped into his armchair with a bottle dangling from his hand visible from where I was.

The sky was a gloomy greyish blue, a huge contrast to the warm sunset I rode my skateboard through on the way back from the bus station. Like the universe was intentionally mocking me and my fear of my father.

It was sad in a way. When I was 4, my parents had this whole fiasco of a welcome home party just to celebrate coming back from my first day at kindergarten.

And since my mom died twelve years ago, it's like I don't even exist to my father anymore.

My hands fidgeted with the zipper of my jacket and my bottom lip rolled between my teeth as I contemplated my next move.

I didn't even bother picking up my skateboard, knowing my options were to stay here or go across the neighbourhood. And I already knew which way I was leaning towards.

I sighed heavily before deciding against walking four feet to my doorstep and instead riding to the other side of the neighbourhood.

It didn't feel like home. It was scary... And lifeless. And nothing like a home should feel.

I knew my dad would've ignored me completely if I went through our front door... Had he remembered my existence at all.

The calming ride I experience just a moment ago suddenly felt cold and quiet.

I kept my gaze straight ahead of me, dreading the morning I had to go back to that place.

I turned into a street and my eyes landed on a familiar house.

This one felt more like home to me.

The rusty wheels of my board screeched to a stop and I wasted no time in running up to the door.

There wasn't a hint of doubt within me, reassured by the fact that I was more welcomed with open arms by a family that wasn't even mine.

A moment after I rang the doorbell, I was greeted by a confused-looking David. "Where have you been?" He asked, fingers lightly swaying the door he held open.