The Serpent Queen's Gambit

✿

Mickey is exhausted by the constant town meetings being called by the council.

Percival doesn't make it any easier because he's the one always talking. At the current meeting, he has rose from his seat to make an announcement. "The Sheriff's Department is pleased to announce that the town-wide census is complete, and the people of Riverdale have spoken. And since the unhoused problem has been dealt with, their main source of anxiety is the ongoing gang warfare between the Serpents and the Ghoulies." His focus shifts to one council-member in particular. "Miss Topaz, since you're a member of the Council of Four and Serpent Queen, what have you got to say about that?"

Toni is caught off guard by him addressing her so out of the blue, but she doesn't show it for more than a split second. "Well, to begin with, there is no war between the Serpents and the Ghoulies. Actually, I've been in constant contact with the Ghoulies' leader, Twyla Twyst, in efforts to de-escalate tension. And I believe we're very close to declaring a ceasefire."

"Well, I wonder, have you considered disbanding the Serpents?"

Tabitha shifts in her seat out of annoyance. "Okay, if I could just interject here. Miss Topaz is not on trial," she declares. "Your point has been noted, Mr. Pickens. Now let's please move on to the next item on our agenda."

Mickey finds herself standing with Fangs and Toni after the meeting to discuss what happened during.

With a hushed voice, Fangs asks, "What the hell was that?"

"An ambush," Toni answers nonchalantly. "Percival went after the folks in Sketch Alley and now he's coming after us."

"Hey, Toni. Fangs." Kevin walks over to the trio with Baby Anthony in the carrier strapped to Kevin's chest. "Hi, Mickey."

Toni reaches to unstrap Anthony and coos, "Oh, hey, Prince! How is my baby boy doing?"

Mickey uses her index finger hook in Anthony's tiny hand, smiling at him when he glances at her.

"Yeah, he's great. He's great." Kevin releases a breath. "I'm bummed to let him go. Nervous, given everything going on." This earns him the side eye from Mickey.

"Oh, don't be," Toni dismisses as she bounces Anthony on her hip.

Hesitantly, Kevin says, "I gotta be honest. I'm having second thoughts about baby Anthony being raised around gang culture."

Fangs' brows draw together. "You mean as a Serpent?"

"Kevin, I was raised as a Serpent," Toni reminds him. "So was Fangs."