The River's Edge

Mickey slides out of the town car and stands beside her sister, Veronica. She makes sure to stand on Veronica's left to be as far away from her mother as possible.

The twins' mother inhales sharply, "Now, brace yourself. The apartment's small. A pied-a-terre, but quality always."

"Quality always," Veronica says at the same time as their mom. She nudges her sister lightly with her elbow.

"Plus, it's the only piece of property in my name and not your father's." Hermoine takes a step forward and continues on the path to the front door of the apartment building.

Mickey sticks close to Veronica as they follow Hermoine. As she looks upon the exterior of their new 'home,' all she can think is quaint. "Cozy, isn't it?"

Veronica rolls her eyes and turns her head to give her a look, "Can you at least try to be positive?"

"Says you!" she whisper-shouts. Then she moves ahead of Veronica and walks behind her mother inside the building.

The ceilings are high and the entrance is a bright kind of dull. It's kind of soothing. The lobby is empty, everyone probably calling it a night or eating dinner; it's the exact opposite of how things were in New York, the city that never sleeps⎯literally.

An older man in a uniform approaches the family of three. "Ms. Hermione!" he exclaims. "Welcome home!"

"Smithers! Oh, you are a sight for sore eyes." Hermoine wears a genuine smile on her face as she leans over to kiss the man on his cheek. She seems very comfortable with him, like she trusts him.

"How was the ride?" Smithers inquires.

"No traffic, thank God." She turns to her daughters and introduces them. "Smithers, I'd like to introduce you to my daughters, Veronica and Mickey."

"It's a pleasure." He shakes both girls' hands.

"Hi," Veronica smiles politely. Then she nudges her sister subtly.

"Hello," Mickey manages to get out without tipping the man off to her attitude.

"I'll get the bags." Before he makes it to the door, he asks, "And would you like some menus, ma'am, so you can order in?"

"Oh, no," Hermoine insists. "I have been craving one of Pop Tate's cheeseburgers since noon. Is his Chock'lit Shoppe still open?"

"What is a Chock'lit Shoppe and why does it sell burgers?" Veronica asks with an amused tone.

"Are you going to hate me forever?" Hermoine asks her daughter with a sad expression.

They have pulled up to the Chock'lit Shoppe, which is actually just a diner. The ride coming was very awkward and even more tense, hence the question from Hermoine.

Before Mickey can give a snarky response, Veronica grabs her hand, "Come with me to pick up our order. I don't want to go inside alone."

"When have you ever been afraid of a new place?" When Veronica gives her another one of her looks, she climbs out of the car, muttering a "Whatever."

Veronica is just trying to keep the peace, like she has always done with Mickey and their parents as if she was the older twin.

"You need to cut mom some slack, Mickey," Veronica deadpans once they're in front of the diner's entrance.

Mickey pulls the door open for Veronica. "What? You don't really need me to go inside and I need some fresh air to cool down." In the moment that Veronica walks through the door, Mickey admires her sister's outfit. The cape really adds a mysterious vibe to the burgundy dress. "Hurry," she calls out before the door completely closes.