×44×

October 14, 2018
4:52 p.m.

I was losing my hair like a lot of it. It was slowly taking a toll on me. I hated going to school. I didn't want to see anyone. Adding the fact that I couldn't walk up the stairs anymore, so now I just stayed in a classroom the whole day. Oscar had been trying to hang out and cheer me up but I was trying my best to avoid him.

"You can't avoid him forever," Benito said when he saw my phone light up with Oscar's message.

"Who can't?" I asked daringly. "Watch this."

"It's like you don't know Oscar," he laughed and I rolled my eyes.

"I'm hideous Benito," I yelled in frustration. "My hair is falling out by chunks. I can't brush my hair without it falling. I don't want him to see me like this."

I felt my eyes watering and I sucked my teeth cleaning my face annoyed.

"You'll always be beautiful Valentina," he said sitting next to me. "It's going to be okay once treatment is done your hair will grow back eventually."

"You're saying that because you're my brother. It's your job to make me feel better," I said crossing my arms.

"I would tell you if you did," he said kissing my temple and I sighed.

"You don't get it," I whispered cleaning my tears.

"I'm sorry," he said and I nodded laying down facing the wall. "I love you," he said gently squeezing my arm.

After a while I felt him get up from my bed and leave.

**
10:11 p.m.

"Hey," I heard Oscar's voice which made me jump. I hadn't seen him in a while. He looked different and I couldn't tell why.

"What are you doing here?" I asked sitting down pulling my hood up.

"You're avoiding me so I came to see you," he shrugged his shoulders. "Let's talk."

He sat in front of me putting his legs around mine.

"Talk about what?" I asked crossing my arms. He looked at me squinting his eyes.

"Why are you avoiding me?" He asked and I frowned.

"I don't want to be with you anymore," I replied and he scoffed rolling his eyes.

"That shit doesn't even make sense," he said and I rolled my eyes. "Stop playing with me."

"I feel ugly. I'm hideous. My hair is falling by the second. I'm getting skinnier and you're going to leave any fucking way! What's the point? You probably think I'm ugly already," I started hyperventilating while tears rolled down my face.

Oscar frowned while watching me cry. I couldn't stop crying. I had done so much overthinking that every emotion I had came out. He slowly pushed my hood off and started cleaning my tears.

"I don't think you're ugly Valentina. So what if your hair is falling? Wear a wig, or don't," I sniffled rolling my eyes. "I'll still be here. I love you with everything in me. You're sick and it comes with it. You're gonna get past that and I'll be with you along the way. I'm never gonna leave."

"What if you get tired Oscar? This is a lot. I'm at the hospital half of my time now. I don't want to put an unnecessary burden on your plate," I said and he cupped my face.

"Don't worry about what I have going on in my plate. I'm choosing to stay right here," he said caressing my cheeks. "If anything worry about your own plate and how we gonna gain that weight back."

I chuckled sniffling and he placed gentle kisses on my lips.

"Stop thinking for everyone. We love you and care for you," he said and I nodded taking a deep breath.

"I love you," I said before giving him a kiss. I wrapped my arms around his neck and he pulled me onto his lap.

"Wanna shave your head with me?" He asked breaking the kiss and I looked at him smiling.

It was his hair that's why he looked different. It was growing back he didn't have a lot but it was there.

"You don't have to," I shook my head and he rolled his eyes.

-end-