Chapter XIV

Maya Jackson

I see Lilith Everlark and her groupies walking towards me. Crap. Just because I was still new here doesn't mean that she should pick on me, I thought bitterly as I dashed the opposite direction of the rich freaks towards my third period class.

"Yo! Maya!" I hear someone call from behind me.

I jump, almost knocking my books over. Some laughs at me. I turned around to see Sebastian Mathers smirking at me. I roll my eyes.

"Gosh Sebastian, I thought you were Lilith's brother or something," I groan.

He shrugs.

"Lilith always hates new kids, especially if they're her age, but she'll get over it sooner or later."

"Probably never," I said under my breath.

"Don't be a sour sport," Sebastian tells me, lightly punching my shoulder.

"Says you," I reply, smiling slightly.

My eyes drift off toward the window of the classroom, out of boredom of course. I squint a little to see two men in black suits walking towards the school. Well, that's a first, I said to myself as my eyes followed the men in black until they disappeared into the school building.

"Maya!" someone hisses.

I look up to see Rachel staring at me intently.

"What the hell are you doing?" she whispers.

I sigh.

"Saw two men in black suits walking into the school," I explained quickly. "They seem really suspicious to me."

Rachel rolls her eyes.

"Girl, you've got to be joking."

I shake my head.

"I never joke around, do I?" I ask raising an eyebrow.

"No, but everyone else would think you'd gone on the crazy train if they heard that."

Well, she had a point. Nobody has ever seen guys in black suits before, not here anyway. I mean, why would they even come to a school? None of us are that insane. Maybe me, but I have issues of my own. Sheesh.

Everything went downhill from there.