Chapter VIII

I somehow break out of the creepy building to find myself in downtown Manhattan.

"What in blazing hell?" I murmur, not believing that I was even here.

A dark figure in a cloak runs past me. I look around to make sure that nobody is watching me, and I run after the unknown person. He disappears down a dark, narrow alley.

"Hey!" I call after them.

When I step into the alley, I feel a muscular arm tighten around my waist and a meaty hand clamp over my mouth. I didn't dare attempt to scream.

"Who sent you, girl?" a deep, dark voice whispers into my ear.

I shake my head, trying to tell him that I meant no harm.

"Are you with those fiends  that want to destroy the world for their own purposes?" he asks me.

I try to say something, but it was muffled. The guy knew what I was saying and let go of me. I take in a deep breath and turn to face the person who had asked me those questions.

"Who are you?" I say questionly.

"Zephr Niad, Zeke for short," he replies, looking at me suspiciously. "And if you aren't with the E.o.D., then why did you exit their headquarters? What is your name?"

I sigh, knowing that this was going to come sooner or later.

"I am Ciera Marie Frazier," I start to tell Zeke. "I had been abducted by people that didn't seem human at all, and I had been knocked out by a young man with these odd scars all around his eyes. At first, I had attempted to find a way to get out of my house without getting spotted, but I had no way out. They were everywhere. I ran upstairs to my room and locked the door, hoping that they wouldn't find me there, but that didn't last long. I heard the front door split in half and footsteps stomp up the spiral staircase, and I knew that I was trapped.

"The next thing I knew, I woke up in a dim-lit room, chained to a wall. Someone laughed at me as I struggled to break free of the things that held me to the floor, and I knew who it was. It was Jefferson Lee Vock-Stein, who I knew to be an old friend from school. He had told me the story of how he had befriended me to keep an eye on me for his potrudent father, the leader of the E.o.D. Jeff had faked his own kidnapping just so I would be distracted from the fact that my cousin Amanda was trying to warn me about Jeff and a few others. I had felt betrayed when he finished saying how lucky I was to find out who I was, but was too late to stop him, his father, and the E.o.D. from changing the world forever."

I shake my head, not believing what I was even saying as I told Zeke of how I escaped.

"-and then the chains crumbled to the ground. I didn't know how it happened, but I didn't have time to think, since I was in a state of uncontrollable fury. All that I remembered was running out of the building, and you know the rest."

I take in a deep break, suddenly worn out from talking. I look up at Zeke and see that he was suprisingly calm.

"So it is true," he mumbles under his breath.

Zeke catches me staring at him, and he quickly recovers himself.

"If you want to know the real reasons why they want you locked up and out of sight when they attempt to destroy this world, come with me," he tells me, holding out a hand to me.

"I would honestly need to know why I am so important," I reply, grabbing his hand.

The next few hours of my life are very crutial and interesting. I start to discover the purpose of my life, which was not to be a small, frightened little fourteen year old girl from the suburbs of Manhattan, but a girl destined to save the human race and the world from being transformed into a living nightmare.