Grave Days

The sky was a downpour or sadness and despair. The rain pounded down onto my head and wetted the mane on my head, making it stick to my skin and helped to cover the puffiness of my eyes and the trails of tears on my cheeks.

Today was the anniversary of my mothers death. She died of lung cancer ten years ago, when I was small. All I remember of her is what she always used to tell me when I got sad.

"Serena, don't be sad. Life is to short to be sad for long periods of time. Enjoy the emotion, the experience of it, but don't let it linger of it will hold on and never unhinge it's jaw."

Even though I had only been 6 when I lost her, it seems like it was only yesterday that I buried her whenever I came to visit her in her oak casket and the dirt beneath my legs where I knelt turned to mud and began to cover me.

Life moves on, but it will always move on slower for me. The pain dragging behind me like weights.

But I am not alone.

No.

I will never be alone.

I slowly stood up from the grave. Leaving the flowers sitting in front of her stone and wiped some of the mud off, but instead spread it to more area on my legs and onto the palms of my hands.

I sighed and let the rain wash down over me.

And I looked one more time at the gray stone before I turned around and headed home, to go to sleep and start a new day and look toward a brighter future

Abigail Johnson
1970-2005
Mother, friend, loving wife, beautiful daughter
"Let there always be happiness and light when all seems lost" ~A.J.