5 - To swear by the stars

"I have to leave, Winry."

Her head was placed on his shoulder, her hand held tight in his.

"I know," she said.

Together, they were looking up at the thousands of stars loitering the dark sky of Resembool from the porch.

Ed didn't know it, but with her free hand, Winry was passing her thumb slowly over the ring on her finger, marvelling secretly over it. This special item was the proof of their immense affection for each other, and the very thing that would bring them to make the steps to make it official. Because of this little ring that Fullmetal had carefully designed and transmuted himself after leaving Willa, Phil and Frederick, the world would know that she was taken—and by the best man she could give her love to.

"I'm sorry," Ed said.

"And when you just got back," she answered teasingly, though this was only to hide her sadness. She truly didn't want to part with him when he had just returned.

"But I'll be back real soon," Fullmetal assured her. "I'm just going to kick-ass real quick, then I'm taking the next train back here!"

"We'll get married then?"

All of a sudden, Ed was blushing. He didn't even try to hide it, figuring it was too dark for Winry to see. She noticed.

"We'll get married as soon as you come back?" Winry persisted.

"'Course. I gave you that ring for a reason. As soon as I'm done with the Cardinal Sin, I'll come right home, put on a suit and wait for you at the altar."

"You promise?"

Ed pointed out the night sky. "You see all the stars out there? All the thousands—millions!—of them? By each and every one of them, I promise I'll come back to you, Winry. It's a million promises to make sure that you become mine—the one and only Mrs. Edward Elric!"

He put his hand on the back of her head, ruffling her hair, and, suddenly, he delivered their second kiss. It lasted but a moment, but to both, it was worth much more than a second's long lock of lips; that kiss was marvellous and perfect. Each swore that they would share many more in the future.

"That's my last kiss to Winry Rockbell. The next time, it'll be Winry Elric whom I'm kissing."

Winry smiled. She had considered returning his kiss, but after he'd said that, she knew she would save it. The next one they shared would be truly special and she didn't want to ruin that.

"Ed?"

"Yes?"

"I hope you don't mind, but since your old red coat doesn't fit you anymore, I took the liberty of making a few adjustments..."