20 - Pinako Rockbell

It was entirely coincidental that two important events overlapped each other and so happened at around the same time. Yet, it was also extremely lucky.

At four o'clock, a man came limping into Resembool, casting cautious glances at his surroundings. The few who crossed him panicked for blood had leaked through the bandage around his belly and stained his dirty shirt with crimson; the quick stitches he had made himself were not very effective.

Not even five minutes after this mysterious man's arrival, a train from Central rolled in. Mei and Al stepped out, walking ahead, with the Princess having an internal conflict; she was debating whether or not to take Al's hand to comfort him, for the latter looked awfully troubled and distracted. If she did that, Al whould automatically assume that she was in love with him.

Well. That wasent' entirely off the mark. Alphonse, after getting his body back into shape and cutting his hair short, had become quite attractive. Plus, he was so caring, fun and attentive that is was hard for Mei to block out her growing feelings for the young alchemist. Perhaps, one day, they whould become like Edward and the fiancée he miraculously got himself.

Bringing up the rear of this quiet and gloomy trio was Edward and he was the most morose out of all of them.

He was overcome by a sudden, inexplicable feeling of foreboding, even if he was headed with his brother to go stay with his fiancée and her grandmother for a while. What it was all about, he could not say, but he was eager to get home to set his mind at ease. Plus, Ed yearned to see Winry again.

Ahead—even though they were trying to keep it private—Mei and Al were having a conversation and an interesting one at that.

"Brother seems so different, Mei," Alphonse whispered. "I'm not sure what to do. He has built massive, unbreakable walls around his heart and I can't seem to see the real Ed. He's changed."

The princess answered, "Alphonse, he literally died! You can't expect him to be his usual unpleasant self after a traumatic event like that. Give it time. I'm sure the wound will heal and Edward will act like himself again. Maybe seeing this fiancee of his—that blonde girl from the north, I think—is going to help."

"I doubt it," said Al "She'll probably just throw a wrench at his head again, and then he'll start yelling, and she'll yell back... Actually, that sounds like a normal exchange for the two of them. If things look like they're going horribly, that's a good thing, Mei!"

"Your familly scares me."

"It does?" Al asked nervously.

"Absolutely. If she throws wrenches at his head regularly and they yell like they can't stand each other, I can't even begin to guess why they whould be getting married. But, then again... love is a funny thing."

Mei cast a discreet sideglance at Al. She coulden't help but be disapointed when the only emotions visible on his face were the concern for his brother. Boys really were the densest of creatures. Xiao-Mei, from where she was perched on the princess's shoulder, seemed to agree with a small squeak.

Ed watched, feeling sorry for his little brother. 'This is the most awkward thing I have ever laid eyes on,' he thought. 'Poor Al. She is going to tell him she only wants to be friends because she's in love with somebody else. The brat! Leading my poor, dense little brother on like that.'

For the remainder of the walk, he listened to their conversation, shaking his head every once in a while. Al whould be heartbroken when Mei finally told him.

At last, they were walking up the path to Granny's house. Immediately, Ed noticed that the door was ajar.

"What's Granny doing?" Fullmetal said. "It's almost sunset. All the bugs are going to get inside."

The trio climbed up the steps, but suddenly, Mei covered her mouth and ran to lean on the porch railing. Al let out a terrible scream, backing up from the doorway as Mei had, and so Ed could see clearly what was in front of him.

Granny Pinako lay on her back, her stomach slashed open so both her blood and organs spilled out onto the floorboards. The pipe that was always in the old woman's hands had rolled out of the reach of her bloody fingers.