12 - Rebecca's roar

Vain inflicted nine different severe burns on Edward's body; four on his real leg, two on his stomach, one for each shoulder and the last one on his upper arm.

He sat back. Vain watched his work as—with nearly dead eyes—his captive returned the look. Without a doubt, they both held a titghly woven hatred for each other.

From level ground, the rest of the Cardinal Sin watched. Ebenezer, who had joined them midway was, amongst others, already bored. He was the first to voice it, though.

"This is kind of getting old," the man whined. "Vain's turned him into an ugly mess."

"Look who's talking," Herman mumbled.

Sophronia crossed her arms, legs dangling over the edge of the pit in what was supposed to be an elegant way. "At least his handsome face isin't burned." She then reconsidered, watching Ed's sweaty features stuck in an agonized expression. "Forget it. He's nowhere near good-looking with that look on his face."

"Vain," Ire said, rocking forwards, "do you mind if we go get lun—"

There was a gunshot, and suddenly, blood was leaking out the back of Ire's head. She staggered, eyes wide, not for a full ten seconds before she tumbled into the pit, crashing into Vain.

Dead. Ire was dead.

A terrible and explosive bellow ripped from Herman's open mouth. He held out his hand frozen in the way Ire had fallen until the immediate proceedings registered. The murderous man whirled vengefully. He had mind to beat the person who'd killed Ire senseless, however, he never got the chance. Before he could spot the sniper, a bullet buried itself in his left eye.

Herman fell back, crashing into Walter while howling. His death was the point where Sophronia, Ebenezer and Walter lost it. They screamed, looking around the forest surrounding them for the sniper who'd killed Herman and Ire.

"Wait," Ebenezer cried out, pointing towards a particularly large tree. "I see—"

An expertly precise shot was fired and the bullet flew into Ebenezer's open mouth and implanted itself in his throat. When Sophronia stupidly ran to his side, she was shot twice in the neck. Using his good sense, Walter decided to run; he didn't get very far.

Screaming furiously, Rebecca Catalina rolled out from behind the tree she'd used as a hiding place. She may not have shown it while speaking with Ed, but the resentment and pure hatred in the second-lieutenant was gathered so volumously that she had become deadly and nothing would stop her from taking her revenge for those long months as a prisoner. Levelling the riffle in her hands, she let out a mighty roar and shot Walter to the ground.

"ROT IN HELL, YOU BASTARDS!"