7. The Day After

//

//

IT WAS A FEW DAYS AFTER THE DANCE AND BETHANY WAS CURIOUS ON HOW DANIEL WAS DOING SINCE THE LAST SHE SAW WAS JOHNNY CHASING HIM OUT. She was glad to see him packing his locker as she walked over. 

She grinned, tapping his right shoulder before quickly moving behind him, leaning on the lockers as he looked around.

"Hi," she spoke with a smile.

He turned to her completely to which he smiled. "Hey, I've been looking all over for you."

Her smile fell as she saw his face, his cheek bruised and a bandage barely covering the edge of his left eye. "Are you kidding me?" she mumbled.

"What?" 

She only sighed in annoyance, pushing off the locker about to walk off but Daniel followed her.

"Where you goin'?" Daniel asked slightly confused.

"I'm gonna go kick my pain in the ass brother," she remarked. "This has gone far enough."

He quickly moved in front of her. "No, it's been taken care of."

"Oh, yeah? Until next time?"

"No, there isn't going to be a next time."

"Danny," she spoke but saw her brother's group walk over. "They found us."

Daniel looked at them before back at her. "Look, watch this." He walked over to them. "Hey, guys, it's good to see you." He glided past her brother with ease making her smile. "Sorry about your eye, Johnny. Your shoulder okay, Tommy? You guys be careful not to step in front of any more buses now, all right."

He walked away with a smiling Bethany. "Wow, was that all you?"

"Don't you know when you make a wish in the shower, it always comes true," he replied.

She laughed. "Wow, a superhero right before my very eyes." She glanced back at her pissed off brother before turning back to Daniel. "He told me his bike got stuck in a pothole and he got hurt on the road...You must be the pothole and road."

He laughed. "I guess. No, we've got an agreement."

"Which is?"

"They agreed not to beat up on me and I promised not to get my blood on their clothes, that was it," he joked.

"Oh my God," she giggled. "I would say that's ridiculous but considering how this weeks been, sounds about right."

"What am I gonna do, moan and groan?"

She hummed. "I would've and I'm pretty sure anyone else would."

"Well, who would listen anyway?"

She gently grabbed his arm to stop him walking. "Well...I would."

He raised his eyebrows. "Oh, really?"

She giggled. "I guess so."

"You...um...feel like listening on Saturday night then?"

She smiled. "Depends. Is that your way of asking me out?" she asked.

"Yeah, figured you'd take pity upon me and agree."

"Oh my God, I would not. I'd love to go out with you on Saturday."

He grinned. "Oh, great. That's great. My plan worked."

"I guess in a way it did, but not pitying you. You're just cute and you got charm that reeled me in," she said, ripping a small slip of paper out and jotting something down.

"Yeah, I really try to turn up my natural charm every time I see you," he replied making her giggle.

"Well, it works. Not to mention, you're funny." She handed him the paper. "Here's my number and address, feel free to call me at any time."

"Will definitely call."

"Hopefully before Saturday too." The school bell rang. "Shit, got Economics. I'll see you later, Danny." 

"All right, talk to you later then."

"Bye," she said, pecking his cheek politely before walking to class.

***

Bethany was at her locker, getting ready to go home when a banging on her locker door made her jump before sighing.

"Christ, Johnny," she mumbled.

"So you're finally going out with that dweeb?" he asked.

She sighed. "Did you walk over here to tell me I can't go?" She looked at him. "If you did, you're wasting your time because you're not my dad."

"Pretty damn close, I raised you."

"We raised each other if anything." She continued to put away her stuff. "I don't get your deal with Daniel, you're picking on him 'cause he didn't mind his own business? Still?"

"No, at the dance, he soaked me with a water hose and then he had his old karate teacher beat up on me and my friends. I have every reason not to like him."

"Yeah, well you started it. You beat up on him twice, you got him kicked from soccer try outs and you had him sit on a plate a blueberry pie. Sounds like what he did is karma to me."

He scoffed. "Well, you're going out with him and it's the stupidest thing you could do."

She laughed. "That's rich coming from you. You do a lot more stupid shit, Johnny but I don't judge. I'm going out with him whether you like it or not, and it's not like we're doing anything major so relax."

"I won't but fine."

"We'll just make an evil plot against you then I'll let him go to four base with me," she remarked knowing it'd piss him off. Almost immediately Johnny smacked the side of her head. "Ouch, asshole."

"I never want to hear that again."

"I was kidding," she mumbled, rubbing her head although he was pretty gentle about it. "Be nice to me, I'm buying us pizza."

"Be nice to me, I'm giving you a ride," he replied.

"You should give me a ride anyway, I live with you," she said closing her locker door.

"And? What about it?"

"I buy you food whenever you don't feel like going home, I should be considered your best friend."

"Wanna be my best friend? Use your fake ID to buy us more beer."

"So much for ex-degenerate," she remarked. "Let's get the hell out of here."

He walked with her. "Yeah, yeah."

"Hey, J, one question." He turned to look at her to which she poked his cheek repeatedly where it was bruised. "Does it still hurt?"

"Stop touching me," he quickly said pushing her hand away continuing to walk out to his book to which she followed.

***