"The kid is traumatized, he may not remember things as they really happened."

"I'm fully aware of that. Just tell me is the part that he was the one who destroyed the painting true. That can confirm some things what are essential to solve this case."

Therapist took her glasses and put them on the table. Then she leaned closer to the table. She was an old woman and if she wanted to make Patch feel uncomfortable, she had achieved that.

"Sadly, I might say, information what you've so kindly shared with me, proves that part of his story to be true."

"Then I'm off to find some bodies."

"You sure that you don't want to have a session with me? I know this case is closely related to you. In my opinion, you shouldn't be out there, trying to solve it."

Patch smiled but that definitely wasn't anything to show kindness or other such things.

"Then keep your opinion to yourself, I'm fine and going to clear this sticky situation. And if I ever wanted some counseling, I would find somebody else. Somebody who has no idea who I've dated because they won't tell where I can go and where I can't."

"That's painful to hear."

"Good to know, it was meant like that. Like I told you, I'm fine." she left with a bang. God, couldn't any of those doors close silently?

***

While the case was still going nowhere, she had to deal with Five. He had started answering to questions with short answers. Like yes and no. He also didn't avoid peoples gazes so much anymore. But he was still a silent kid. By law, she had to put him in school. Kid himself didn't seem to like the idea. Patch was also annoyed. She thought he wasn't ready. It was true, in a way.

The first days were fine. He didn't catch any attention at all and was left alone, which he seemed to like. But then, maybe a week later, the school wanted to have a chat with Fives guardians.

***

She was washing dishes when Five came into kitchen, clearly wanting to her something.

"I'm listening. Sorry I can't sit down with you, this fat won't come of with just some water." she was focused on dishes, but ready to listen what he had to say.

"Mom?" his voice was quiet and hesitant, he clearly wasn't used to using and hearing it anymore.

Patch almost let one of the plates fall to pieces. She saved it on the last second. With a brush of hand to get rid of hair what had fallen to her eyes, she looked at Five who seemed shaken.

"I can call you that right?" now his voice was shaking like he wasn't ready to get scolded.

"Yes, of course. No problem. I just wasn't prepared to hear that. I've never thought I will be a mom."

Yeah, that came out of nowhere.

"The school. They want to meet with you. Told me to call my parents. I guessed that's you who I had to call."

That was the longest conversation she and Five had ever had. And truth to be told, hearing him call her mom, light some special kind of warmness in her. She liked the sound of that. Mom. Who would've thought.

"I'll come. When did they say the meeting will be?"

***

Director began to look nervous and uncomfortable after Patch entered his cabinet with Five. Maybe, in his imagination, Patch was somehow different. Anyway, he seemed like rational man to Patch, who liked that. It was easy to deal with people like that.

"I'm so sorry for having to call you here, I'm sure you had other things to do. It only makes me appreciate you coming, more."

Oh, so he was a sweet talker also. Well, that was little bit bothersome to find out. She felt her blood pressure rise with every sentence he said. Sweet talking only angered her as in her line of work, it was to be completely ignored.

"Please, save both of us time and tell me why I had to come?"

"Some parents and also teachers, are complaining."

"What can they complain about?"

"By years I've discovered that everything is complainable if you try and bug it enough. For first thing, they find that your sons name, Five, is disturbing the school system and other students, who can't cope with that. They say, it makes the place feel like prison."

"I've visited that place and can assure them, it's always been like that. My sons name has nothing to do with that."

"I understand but don't think they will. Secondly, your son is too smart for us, I apologize for saying this, but I think he should learn in someplace else. Our teachers, especially math ones, can't compete with him and he makes other students feel stupid and worthless. He's scaring them and us also. Please, take him someplace we won't meet him."

That was harsh. Patch was actually surprised hadn't said anything during their conversation.

"I'll see about that. We have to think."

she didn't give promises and walked away eyes burning with emotions. Five followed her quickly.

"What did you do to them?" she finally asked him, when they had reached car.

Five shrugged his shoulders and held his eyes down.

"Nothing. I just talked. Answered the questions."

That may have been enough. He was super good at making people feel weird. She had just hoped that he would make some friends.

"Do you even want to go to the school?"

"No, not really."

"Then lets find a way past that stupid law." she came to an conclusion and hit gas.

***