Wet shoes and cold feet

The beach where the TARDIS parked was a shallow bay on the left quarter side of the island. Dark waves caressed smooth gray pebbles and stretched to mountainous peaks hundreds of miles in the distance. Floating harbors speckled along the shore and snaked far into the deep, glinting in the TARDIS' light. The stars remained covered by a thick feathery gray down of clouds.
"Now where are we? What is the name of your island?" The Doctor asks as they began walking towards the beach.
"You don't know?" Jefferson asked, "isn't it your thing to know where you are? When you travel?"
"My only thing is to lend a helping hand where I can," the Doctor replied. "And what do you mean by that hm? What do you mean about my thing?"
"You're an alien, aren't you supposed to know where you invade? Like the planet or something?"
"I don't invade," the Doctor hissed, "I help. And I've spent an awful lot of time helping your miserable planet when I could be traversing across the galaxy or getting a pint on Trot. Did you know on Trot the whole planet is named after this one fellow Trotdigerioushemmer, who was the first person to pass out from drinking on the planet? It was a pitstop for refueling space ships and well I guess their pilots and crew too, if you think about it. But naming the whole planet after the first person to get wobbly, I mean imagine being Trotdigerious when he woke up in the morning! Hello Troty we named the entire planet after you, and you wouldn't have any memory of the night before!"
The Doctor was rambling complete nonsense to Jefferson and they had tuned him out. All that mattered to them was that The Doctor had no idea where he was and that they had to get closer to the ocean, which meant they had to guide them both. Jefferson was sure the Doctor hadn't noticed they had taken the lead, skirting around the beach and over a metal bridge towards the closest string of harbors. Keeping their eyes engaged with the Doctor's in mock listening, they stopped suddenly and he blinked, looking around and realizing they had stopped at a dead end of a side dock.
"Sorry, it gets confusing in the dark," Jefferson explained, and side-stepped him as to not be cornered into the ocean. The Doctor blinked at Jefferson and his surroundings before swallowing uncomfortably and continuing to ramble.
"Trot is no comparison to the partying they do on Extradipulopolis, which is like this place except the whole planet is a harbor! They extrapolate the natural dipul fumes in the mornings when their five suns evaporate the oceans of scarbionite, the only place in the universe where it's found in a liquid state, and sell it off to clean energy space craft engineers. Brilliant! Then when night comes red clouds cover the planet's atmosphere and forms condensation, filling up the oceans again. But the place to be is inside the floating poduled bars!"
"You drink a lot," Jefferson commented, nudging over a coiled rope with their foot. The Doctor glanced down, smile fading as they realized they were about to walk directly into the rope.
"You're a sour one to please," he muttered gravely.
"Well when someone tells you there's a cosmic entity in the ocean and you're the only one awake and have felt it's presence, that's kind of the only thing on your mind." They snapped back. The Doctor nodded, as if in agreement and to clear his head. Suddenly the waves picked up, splashing spray right onto the dock. White caps heaved themselves out of the water only to crash back into it, tirelessly folding themselves. The Doctor's teeth jammed together as a rogue strip of water splashed on top of the parties shoes.
"Ffff..fantastic," The Doctor stuttered, shivering from the cold. Jefferson had planted themselves once more, and easily continued striding as the wave passed them. They look back at The Doctor and notice his footwear, a thin bright red fabric covering a thin rubber sole.
"Oh you're going to have to be really careful," they commented.
"I rendered that part, thanks," The Doctor snarked, gritting his teeth. He looked at Jefferson's tattered woven gray shoes with thick angled soles that matched the pattern of their gravel driveway and the rocky beach. Jealousy twinged at his heart for a moment, before ultimately deciding that his shoes at least looked cooler. His chatter ceased as they finished working their way across the dark harbor.
Where they now stood was at the foot of the closest mountain, so small and dark that it couldn't be seen from the beach. It was more of a very large hill, jutting straight up from the sea.
"You still haven't told me the name of your island," the Doctor said, aiming for his usually amicable sarcasm. "What's the name of this peak?"
"I wouldn't know, this wasn't here this the last time I was." Jefferson replied. The Doctor's face dropped as he stood solemnly staring at the hardly visible silhouette of black mass. Jefferson grimaced, turning to face the Doctor for reassurance. The Doctor's face was sheet white even in the dark. "What's wrong? Are you okay?" They ask fearfully. The Doctor shook his head.
"I'm scared of the ocean," he admitted, "you are the first and only person to know that. I'm heavily debating on erasing your memory after this so it continues that nobody know that. Now come on," he pointed his flashlight-device at the water. He pocketed it and took a solid step onto the waves. "Let's go have ourselves a chat!"
"Staring contest you mean," Jefferson grumbled and stole a stray life vest from a nearby dingy. Strapping it on they tentatively took a first step, meeting a solid surface. With another they were standing firmly on the ever rising and falling black ocean.