Chapter 10

I waved back at Mom as she smiled at us. I had opted to bring my small handbag along which carried my wallet which had my card, Mom's card and some change that tends to come in necessary. I had my lipgloss and lip therapy, a packet of facial tissues, my small hand lotion and cellphone in it.

"So, tell me about yourself, Melissa." Nolan softly urged as we pulled onto the road and drove off.

"I'm not sure what to share." I nervously laughed as I faced the road. I felt so awkward for some reason which probably stems from the knowledge that I was alone in a car with my overly attractive crush. It was both exhilarating and terrifying that my stomach was caught between doing happy flips and churning.

"Well, what will you be studying?" He asked.

"The bachelor of arts in English, Communication, History and Psychology." I beamed.

"Ahhh, beauty and brains. I like that." He playfully winked with a spark in his eyes. I'm not quite sure if it was caused by the light of the sun shining through his emerald green orbs, or if it was just my imagination.

"I suppose," I lightly chuckled," What do you do?" I asked.

"I'm an architect." He grinned at me with genuine happiness in his voice as he told me about what he did.

That is how the rest of our ride went. I shared some things about me and vice-versa. By the time we got to the salon, I'd say we were no longer strangers.

*****

Zane's POV

I poured the white liquid in my wine glass, fighting the urge to just chug the vodka from the bottle. At this point, I don't care about the taste, I just want the buzz that will help me forget this pain that haunts me, even a little.

Unfortunately deep down, I am very aware that one bottle won't do it. I would need almost ten just to feel a little buzz and probably ten more if not more, to feel tipsy. Let's forget about getting drunk. I've never gotten there before and probably never will.

My body painfully and furiously shook as I grabbed the glass and all but gulped the drink down until there wasn't a single drop left. My muscles were burning and my bones felt like they were breaking. My body was so hot it felt like I was about to combust into flames. The think layer of sweat that coated my skin made it seem like I had jumped out of the shower wet and I knew this was rendering me dehydrated.

A loud buzz rang in my ear and head that I weakly heard Liam whimper.

'Make it stop.' He weakly whispered almost as though speaking hurt in itself.

I wordlessly grabbed the bottle shakily and forcefully brought it to my lips. The pain of moving my arm threatening to tear me apart as my ligaments groaned in pain while my hand furiously shook. The bottle felt so heavy even as it was half empty. I finally managed to press the mouth against my lips, but it was too late. The bottle slipped from my hand and crushed onto the floor beneath me as my breathing grew even more rigid.

Stars started dancing in my vision as the pain increased, making it feel like my ligaments were burning and my muscles were burning in tension. I couldn't even feel myself as my vision turned black and my body fell from the chair onto the floor full of glass. The pieces of glass piercing my skin felt like I was being prickled due to the pain that was already embracing my body.

I could feel my body writhing on the floor as I slowly lost consciousness.

Please, don't let Grace see me like this.