6 rewritten

An; thank you sm for 4K!!

"That was a bad idea. I literally didn't sleep." Avery grumbled, rubbing her tired eyes.

Gabe chuckled, "I take it you're not a morning person?" He asked as she stumbled to her locker.

Avery snorted, running a hand through her hair. "No shit." She thrust open her locker a little too dramatically, earning stares from the few students littering the hall. "I didn't think about school when I asked to stay over."

"Did the fact that it was a Thursday not tell you we'd have school tomorrow?" Gabe tormented, fiddling with his ring. Ring. Avery could have sworn it hadn't been there last night. She glanced to his hand, but the strange burn marks she'd seen were gone. His skin was smooth and pale, not a trace of the scarring she'd seen yesterday.

"Your hand-" Avery said, eyes glued to his arm. It was as though his injuries had never been there.

Gabe chuckled, "What about my hand?" 

Avery grabbed his arm and turned it over, inspecting his skin for any trace of the injuries she'd seen the other day. Gabe watched her with an amused glint in his eyes as her wide eyes trailed up and down his arm, brows knitted together in confusion.

"Last night- it looked like you had been burnt, remember?" She said, dropping his arm.

"Okay, you're either sleep deprived or crazy." He told her teasingly.

Avery furrowed her brows. "No- don't you remember?" 

Gabe shook his head, dismissing her as though she were making little sense. Either she was going crazy, or he had some sort of miraculous healing powers. 

"I know what I saw." She said.

A splinter of sunlight cut across his face, slicing between the two torn sides of his expression. It was the way someone looked in the middle of a fight- debating between what they should say and what they wanted to say.

"Gabe? I'm telling you- I'm not crazy." Avery said sternly as she closed her locker.

He rolled his eyes, "I'm not saying you're crazy, I'm saying you're probably sleep deprived."

She stuffed the books from her locker into her bag, scowling. "Again, your fault."

"Is not." He defended. "You were talking all night."

Avery set of down the sun-lit hall, Gabe following behind her. "You were the one who started the talking." She defended meekly. 

He rolled his eyes playfully. "Yeah, whatever. And you did sleep, even if it was at 3am." He snorted.

Avery's face fell. She hadn't slept a wink. But she'd laid still and silent as he'd snuck away in the early hours of the morning.

She knew something wasn't adding up. With Gabe's burnt hand and his sneaking off when he believed her asleep. But she didn't want to think about that. 

She wanted to trust him. She told herself she trusted him. But the truth was that she wanted to trust him more than she actually did. She knew there was something Gabe was hiding from her, even if she wasn't admitting it to herself, some deep-buried part of her knew he had some sort of secret.