18 rewritten

My day passed all too quickly.

That night, alone in my room, I knew Gabe was coming. I knew that there was no way out. I sat and watched the minutes tick by on my watch, my back pressed against the wall. There were still photos of me and Gabe everywhere. All over my room, my laptop, my phone. Every time the screen lit up with a text I saw his face. It made me sick. I still never changed it.

At exactly 12:03, when my bedroom door creaked open, I knew who it was. I watched the slither of light grow across my carpet and then distort as his shadow stalked inside.

"Do you regret it?" I knew I shouldn't ask. I knew I shouldn't speak. Shouldn't move. Shouldn't ponder such stupid questions. But with my back against the wall, half-hidden from him, I felt some feeble semblance of bravery.

"No," He said, his voice somehow harsh and soft all at once. "Not one bit," He chuckled in a way that made me shiver, made my skin crawl. I knew he felt no remorse. I just didn't know why I let in the hope that he still cared. I didn't know why I wanted him to. "I just wish you'd have listened, Ave," He said, crouching down to my height. I squeezed my eyes shut, unable to look at him."I wish you'd've listened to me and chosen this. Chosen me."

My blood burned hotter. And yet I couldn't help but wonder if joining Gabe would be... easier. If I could find some kind of peace. If I could just rest for a little while.

Maybe it would be like nothingness. Like an easy way out.

Or maybe it would be like letting a demon take control of my body.

I could only hope it would be the former.

Whatever happened, I could only hope that the gods are kind enough to let me rest. I didn't want to see the horrors I would inflict. I didn't want to be unable to control my own body. I didn't want to hurt the people I loved.

Whatever I end up doing once this key is turned, I don't want to see it.

"I'm choosing you now," I said. It was meant to be a lie. But it didn't entirely feel like one. "You let him live, Gabe. So I'm choosing you now."

My nails dug into my palm so harshly they drew blood.

What do I do, dad?

Gabe sat down beside me. I didn't move away from him. "I wish you could've been real," I said, I was thinking out loud more than I was speaking to him.

"It can be real." He told me, "I'll make it real, Ave." And that promise was more tempting then power or control or an end to my misery. I wanted him. I wanted the Gabe I had met in the caves. I wanted my boyfriend Gabe, who had never existed.

His fingers brushed mine, and he watched me with such intent that I didn't dare to breathe in that moment. I knew that it was just a fantasy, but it was an enthralling one, that was warm and comfortable like a childhood bed. And I was so tired.

"Come with me," he said softly, in a way that made it sound like a question- like a had a choice. I knew better than to think that I did. He came to stand and offered his hand to me. I got up but I didn't take it.

I followed him closely through my bedroom door, dreading what waited for me on the other side. Would we go back to that hut?

I felt the weight of the keys in my back pocket, the price of my family's safety, and cast one last glance at the letter that I had left them in my place.

Then Gabe closed the door behind me, the anywhere key clicking in the lock. I was forced to accept my new reality.

I was in a bedroom, much unlike my own. The bed was probably queen sized, with silk sheets and like the rest of the room, so white and modern. It was plain, with a vanity below possibly the biggest Tv I'd ever laid eyes upon. The wardrobes were mirrored and took up the entirety of the east wall, and the west one was entirely floor to ceiling glass overlooking the miserable beach. We were just above the sea caves, on the very edge of the cliff on the outskirts of town. Javi's house, I was sure if it.

Gabe sat back on the bed, watching me with curious intent. I stood in front of him, not wanting to sit. I reached for the keys in my back pocket, fingers running over each one. Even the Omega.

I gave him that one last. And once I had given all I had to give I sat down, as far from him as possible.

"You won't hurt them now?" I asked slowly.

Gabe turned to me, eyes bright as he slipped the keys into his pocket. "No," he told me "I won't."

And yet I still struggled to believe him.

I laid down, sinking into the silk sheets as my mind reeled. I faced away from him, out onto the beach.

I felt Gabe shift beside me.

"Get it over with," I whispered, please.

His fingers trailed to the hem on my nightshirt. His touch was cold. My skin was hot. It still sent electricity pulsing through me.

There was no fire left in me. I crumbled into my fate, all strength diminishing at his touch.

This is it. There is no coming back from this.

His fingers traced over where that keyhole would be, a place that still ached like touching a bruise. He was so gentle, I forgot how strong he had been as I tried to fight him through that door.

"In the morning." He said, and I found myself taken aback at his words,

"I have everything I want from you for now, just rest,"

I felt his weight shift as he got up off the bed.

"Night, Gabe." I imagined we were on the phone one night, like we used to be. When Gabe felt real and so did love. I don't know why I spoke, why I still clung to the remains of a boy that never existed with teeth and claws, refusing to let go.

"Goodnight, Ave."

He closed the door on his way out. I pretended not to hear the lock click.

AN; GUESS WHOS BACKKK!! sorry its been a while, but the next chapter is gonna so make up for it ur so not ready for what i have planned