Chapter 2

You clung to the folder of evidence as you entered the observation room, looking at the android they'd captured. That Connor captured.

"Hey, sweetheart," Gavin greeted with a grin.

You glared at Gavin, not wanting to deal with his shit today. You never specifically agreed to the nickname, but it didn't bother you too much. Usually.

Chris watched from his chair, chuckling. You huffed and grabbed the chair next to Chris, slightly shoving Gavin out of the way. He uncrossed his arms and shoved you back, causing you to almost miss the chair. Your cheeks flushed at the near miss and your eyes flicked to Connor watching silently in the back of the observation room. You gave Gavin the finger as you turn your chair to face the interrogation room.

"Is he making any progress?" You asked, your eyes flickering between Gavin and Chris, waiting for a response. Gavin scoffed, but before he could answer, Hank slammed his hands against the table, causing you to jump.

"Say something, goddamnit!" Hank sighed, pushing himself up from his chair, "Fuck it, I'm outta here." Chris buzzed him through as you focused in on the android. Scars littered its arms, and some of the machinery peeked through the more roughed-up parts. "We're wasting our time interrogating a machine, we're getting nothing out of it!" Hank moved towards the chair next to Chris, stopping once he realized you were in it. You moved to get up, but Hank shook his head, telling you to stay. He took his place in the back of the room, silently seething.

"We could send our dear Doctor in there to talk to it, finally put that fancy degree to use," Gavin responded, a sneer plastered on his face.

You stared at him. Maybe that wasn't such a horrible idea. Interrogating the deviant would give you a better idea of how they ticked. No guarantee the deviant would cooperate, though. You weighed your options.

"Hell no," Hank answered for you, "it's our job to interrogate the suspects, not the doctor's." You deflated a little in your seat.

"C'mon," Gavin urged, "they're authorized to carry a gun, why can't they interrogate the suspects."

You couldn't believe you were actually going to agree with Gavin but before you could argue your case, Connor spoke up, "I could try questioning it." Gavin barked out a laugh at the suggestion, sending you a look like, can you fucking believe this guy? You sent him a similar look.

Hank sighed and threw a hand up, "What do we have to lose? Go ahead, suspect's all yours." Your mouth dropped as Hank gave Connor the approval. Your eyes moved from Hank to Gavin, to Connor, and then back again in disbelief.

"Lieutenant..." you started, ready to plead your case. Hank raised a hand, stopping your argument before it left your mouth. You crossed your arms, leaning back in your chair. You watched as Connor put his hand against the scanner, the skin on his hand peeling back to reveal the white, plastic frame. You looked away, unnerved. Stupid android.

It was uncanny, watching Connor interact with the deviant. He towered over the deviant while he flipped through the evidence folder. Like a killer whale toying with its prey, Connor took his time before beginning his interrogation. He slowly took his seat, his eyes never leaving the deviant's face.

"You're damaged," Connor's eyes shifted to the deviant's forearms, "Did your owner do that? Did he beat you?" Connor's voice was soft as he gazed at the deviant. It made your heart clench, it seemed like Connor actually cared about the deviant.

Just another ploy by Cyberlife to make him appear more human, you thought, clenching your fists.

You watched Connor's hands as he grabbed the evidence folder and expertly flipped it around to show the deviant. He gently opened the folder, folding his hands in front of him. He had beautiful hands. Well, you supposed that was the point. Cyberlife had a knack for perfection.