Chapter 11

You shivered in the passenger seat. You'd offered it to Connor, a way of thanking him for everything, but he insisted you take it.

"You're awfully quiet over there," Hank hummed, his eyes never leaving the road.

You ripped your gaze from the snow-covered landscape and turned to face him, "Just thinking about what we're up against."

"Expecting something bad?" his eyes flickered to your side where your holster sat comfortably against your hip.

You shifted your coat to cover it, "No... just being cautious."

The house came into view, the black stone standing out against the blinding white of the freshly fallen snow. You wiped your palms against your jeans as the car came to a halt.

Hank's phone rang and you tensed in your seat. Your eyes met and he exited the car before taking the call. You watched as he paced in the snow.

"You ready to meet your maker, Connor?" You inquired as you unbuckled your seatbelt.

"I don't know," he paused, eyes narrowing as he looked at the fortress in front of you, "I'll let you know when I see him."

A short laugh left you as you exited the car, slamming the door behind you. You supposed that Elijah was your maker, as well. You wouldn't have this job, this life, without him and his creations.

Connor was quick to follow you as you stood a few paces away from Hank. His back was turned to you and he hung up the phone.

"Is everything alright, Lieutenant?" He questioned beside you.

Hank sighed, "Chris was on patrol last night. He was attacked by a bunch of deviants... He said he was saved by Markus himself."

"Fuck," you breathed, "is he alright?" You hadn't known Chris for long, but your heart rate spiked at the thought of losing him.

Hank remained facing away from you, "Yeah, he's in shock but... he's alive." A sigh of relief left you.

"I have a bad feeling about this, lieutenant," Connor said from behind you as you marched towards the front door, "We shouldn't have come here."

You crinkled your nose, "You should've said that before we left the house."

Hank rang the doorbell and your mouth went dry. The door opened with a hiss and a blonde android, Chloe, stood in the doorway. She stared blankly as she waited for Hank to say something.

"Hi," he faltered, "I'm, er, Lieutenant Hank Anderson, Detroit Police Department. I'm here to see, uh, Mr. Elijah Kamski."

She smiled before stepping aside, "Please, come in."

You felt like you'd just dived into the River Styx, every fiber of your being tensed as you struggled to breathe. You were frozen and you could only watch as you sunk deeper and deeper.

And just like that Connor was there, gripping you tight and raising you from the inky waters. His hand found the small of your back. "It's okay," he whispered, "I'm here." His words emboldened you. Now an invulnerable warrior, sword held in shaky hands as you prepared to face the atrocities that lie within.

You slowly followed Hank into the foyer. "I'll let Elijah know you're here," Chloe folded her hands in front of her, "but please, make yourself comfortable." She padded out of the room, and you rolled your eyes.

You didn't dislike Chloe; you just hated how Elijah used her, how he surrounded her with carbon copies of herself. Replacing her lookalikes whenever needed. It made you sick.