[growing up]

description: the sturniolos have to learn to grow up with different expectations and sometimes without each other

other info: the triplets aren't triplets anymore, justin was born, six years later, nick was born, one year later, matt was born, and one more year later, chris was born; justin is 23, julia (she's explained) is 22, nick is 17, matt is 16, and chris is 15 during most of this; mary lou and jimmy are...kinda bad in this

tw: kinda sad, swearing, slight homophobia, fighting, drinking, smoking

third person's pov*

the sturniolos weren't a perfect family. they had their fights and their differences, but they loved each other nonetheless. that's what everyone thought. mary lou and her husband, jimmy, had very high expectations for their children and if they did something that wasn't up to their expectations, they were very disappointed in them.

they would each marry a nice, pretty girl, become a successful business man, and provide for his family. justin ended up meeting those expectations first, with little "disappointments". he did really good in school, met the love of his life, julia (idk if justin has a gf/ever had a gf, so just go with it👀), and worked as a secretary at a local, kinda big business. julia is currently pregnant, and everyone loves her, justin and her are really good together. justin and julia now have their own house and visit the rest of the family often.

i would like to say that nick followed in his footsteps, but that never happened. firstly, nick didn't do as well in school as justin did, and was not looking to be really successful business man. his parents could see that from a young age, he was put in a few learning support classes along with his two younger brothers, but he was in them the most. his parents did the best they could to help him, but ultimately, he "disappointed" them. nick knew of their expectations and knew that they would never truly love him for who he is. especially when he realized he was gay.

when nick found out who he was inside, he was terrified. terrified of what his parents might do or think, so he never told anyone. besides his younger brothers. he thought he could trust them to keep that secret, but chris accidentally blabbed to their parents, and their parents sat their son down to talk to him. nick admitted he was gay and when his parents denied it and told him it was "just a phase", he blew up at them for the expectations they had for them. he said how they were demeaning, and cruel to push them onto kids at such a young age.

mary lou and jimmy got really mad at him, and kicked him out. nick was only 15, he had no where to go. so he called justin, and justin drove over to his parents house, yelled at mary lou and jimmy, and grabbed nick's stuff and himself, and left. chris and matt heard everything from sitting near the top of the steps. chris clung onto matt as he silently started crying, knowing he was the reason his brother got in trouble.

"matt? matty? what's gonna happen to nick? what's gonna happen to us?" chris whispered. matt shrugged and continued to rub chris's back and try to calm him down.

"i don't know, chrissy. i honestly don't know." he whispered back. they watched as justin walked out of the kitchen where he just finished yelling at their parents and looked up at his little brothers.

"did you guys hear all that?" he asked. they silently nodded. he sighed. "i'm sorry you guys did, but they had to know what they're doing is cruel. and i'm taking nick to live with me, so you guys won't see him as often anymore." matt and chris started crying more at the thought of losing, yet another one of their brothers.

they heard a door open behind them and saw nick leaving his room with his bags. the younger brothers stood up and walked over to nick to hug him. nick wrapped his arms around his younger brothers and cried as they shared one last hug before nick would leave.