Chapter 26

Clarke breathes a sigh of relief, "You're okay. You're going to be okay."

Octavia untangles herself from Lincoln's embrace and walks over with him walking a step behind her like a shadow.

"Commander? Lincoln and I will patrol, make sure there are no reinforcements. We'll leave you two to have your moment," Octavia winks.

"If one comes from here, let him go." I order.

I have just been stabbed and am feeling a bit lightheaded from blood loss and happiness. I am not in the mood to be questioned and Octavia seems to know this and respects it. She will make a good soldier, and a good friend to Clarke. She walks away, mouthing something to Clarke that makes her blush.

"Are you all right?" I ask. I want to get to the soldier before he slips away but Clarke is more important.

"It hurts like hell, but I'll live." I study her and she gives me a warm smile. My heart betrays me and thumps faster in my chest. "I'll be okay, Lexa, I promise."

I feel my face soften as a light rain begins to wash away my face paint. I do not mind being vulnerable around her. I look into her eyes and do not see hatred. I almost do not want to darken her light with my burdens. But I am weak for her. I need her like I need the air I breathe. I will not tell her this until or if she is ever ready to hear it.

I get up, ignoring how my blood is mixing with the rain and trickling down my side. I walk over to the hiding soldier, trying my best not to stumble or show my pain.

I lean down so we are face to face, my eyes staring into his. He is terrified. He is also young; he looks younger than the age I thought they started recruiting.

"I have a message for your superiors. This is what happens when you take one of us. No more kidnapping anyone or we will fight back. And I will kill you like I killed these soldiers. We will not fight you unless you give us a reason to. Got it?" He nods frantically. "Good. Now go."

He trips over his fallen comrades in his haste to run away. Once he is out of sight, I allow myself to relax and go back to where Clarke is sitting.

"You didn't kill him."

"No. He is young and will not want to be a soldier after this. He is not a threat and will give them my message. Hopefully they will not bother us again, though I know that is unrealistic."

"Your people start training at a young age."

"And I wish it is notr necessary." I sigh, biting my lip to stop a pained noise from escaping as I sit down. "Children deserve to be carefree and we burden ours with war." Clarke scoots closer and wraps an arm around me. I believe this is supposed to be comforting, but it feels like more. I do not want her doing something she will regret. "Clarke--"

She cuts me off with the press of her lips on mine.