Chapter 28

Octavia and Lincoln do not come back for a while. Clarke and I stay mainly in the same position, both of us sitting with her arm around me. We do not move unless it for Clarke to check our wounds.

When they walk out of the forest, their faces are flushed and they adjust their clothing.

Clarke chuckles beside me, "I don't think they did much patrolling."

I frown, studying them. "What do you mean?"

Their cheeks are red. Perhaps they were running? Only physical activity would have that effect... ah. I am not good at comprehending Octavia and Clarke's talk of physical relationships. I have never had one before. Yes, there was Costia, but we were young. We never got past kissing.

Clarke just shakes her head at me, looking amused.

Octavia quickly recovers and smirks at the sight of her arm around me. "Aw. Are you two finally a couple?"

I scowl at the "I-told-you-so" look on her face. "And what were you doing in the woods? I did not hear you patrolling."

Octavia and Lincoln cannot seem to look me in the eye. They both mumble excuses too garbled to understand. Clarke laughs at their flustered expressions and holds up her hand to me. I just look at her, confused.

"It's called a high-five. It's like clapping, just with two people." She grabs my hand and presses it to hers. "You do it quicker than that to make a noise."

"Is this another odd Sky People tradition?" I ask.

Clarke cocks her head at me. "Sort of. Never mind. I'll teach you later."

Octavia seems to have recovered from her embarrassment again and laughs quietly. "As much as I would love to sit around and watch the Commander making eyes at Clarke, we should get moving."

I ignore her quip and stand up. I hold out my hand and help Clarke up. She and I begin moving. As she passes Octavia, she murmurs tauntingly. "My girlfriend's more chivalrous than your boyfriend."

I force my steps not to falter. Girlfriend? Clarke reaches out as if sensing my shock at her wording. She holds my hand gently and Octavia makes an "Aw" noise in the background. Clarke turns and sticks out her tongue. It is comforting to see her in a good mood. Lincoln murmurs to Octavia, probably to tell her not to tease us.

Clarke squeezes my hand, "Sorry about that. It just slipped out. I'm not pressuring you or anything..."

"I would not mind being your girlfriend," I admit.

I turn to see her reaction. She is smiling and looks so beautiful as the sunlight hits her I almost forget to breathe. It is my belief that the gods enjoy seeing me almost trip over a root because I am staring at my gorgeous... girlfriend. I return the smile. She is enough to make me forget that we are both soaked in blood and injured.

"Let's go home," Clarke says.

I nod, not trusting my voice. Clarke is finally mine. And I am finally hers.