Chapter 11

(Another giant chapter, you ask? Yes.       - Author)

"Now this is where the real magic happens." I explain to Hannah, who is standing next to me behind the bar.

"On the left over there is the food section, where we prepare all the bagels, sandwiches and snacks." She looks over to the left, where handmade food decorates the glass cabinet. "That's my favorite part of the whole café, to be honest." I confess.

She chuckles and takes a closer look at the food. "Do we seriously sell an anchovies sandwich?" she asks as she grimaces.

"They're more popular than you'd think. Plus, don't knock it before you try it." I tell her.

"Yeah, I'll skip on that offer." She moves away from the cabinet and back to my side.

"Right in front of you is the register, as you can see, as well as some miscellaneous stuff like straws and napkins." Then we turn around to the real stuff.

"Now this, is the part most people love. The espresso machines. Have you worked with these specific ones?"

"No, we had a different brand, but most of the parts I recognize."

"Okay, I'll just quickly shows you how it works. I have an order waiting anyway." I start to prepare the Americano and be careful to explain the tiny details of this specific machine as I work on it.

When I'm done, I hand the Americano to the customer and turn back to Hannah. "See? Not too complicated. Just wait until Pumpkin Spice season comes along."

"Do you get lots of those orders?" she inquires.

"Oh yeah. The pumpkin spice community is serious business. We also try and make our own varieties of the drink. We kind of do that for each season. For winter we once sold ginger coffee. Didn't do too well though."

"Yeah, it sounds like an interesting combination. I'm interested to help out with new drinks if you want."

I give her a wide smile. "Awesome! I do have to warn you that we have some epic fails in terms of flavor testing, so be prepared."

"That's a sacrifice I'm willing to make."

I'm getting the sense that she'll fit perfectly with the team.

After Hannah's training, it's time to close up for today. And I can't wait to go home. Why you ask? Well, there's a special someone stopping by for dinner.

I rush home and jump into the shower. I get dressed and look at the clock. 8 PM. She could show up any minute. I check to see if everything looks good, because I can't have her walk into a messy apartment.

As I'm putting away some last books, I hear my doorbell ringing. I walk over to the intercom and press the speaker button. "Hello?"

"Hey, it's me." I smile at the sound of her voice. I quickly press the button that opens the door into the building.

Of course, in that minute before she reaches my apartment, my heartrate spikes. Deep breaths. As I let out the breath I knew I was holding (unlike other protagonists), I hear a knock on my door.

I go to open it and see the small blonde standing there with three grocery bags full of food. She's dressed casual in jeans and a white T-shirt, but my god does she look good. I can't help but smile at the sight.

"You need help with that?" I ask pointing at the bags.

"Yes, please." She sighs and I grab two of the bags to carry them into the kitchen. She insisted on bringing food to prepare together. I have no clue what 6-course meal she has in mind, but this is a lot of food.